Menu

MP Kindergarten Enrichment question

AimeeM

I'm planning to use the K enrichment and read aloud program next year. I noticed that in the sample enrichment lesson plan, it suggested several supplemental books to dive further into the science portion. Is there a list anywhere on the website of the books it suggests in the enrichment plans? Are the books suggested as supplemental reading, specific to science, in the additional purchase of the Science Enrichment literature set?

I think there is a list on the forum. You could probably do a search on the forum and find it, or ask and Tanya will answer. She is amazing.

The enrichment consists of literature, one book for each week to be read aloud, and there is another list for science/social studies. The link Paradox posted should have a list. Also in the enrichment is an art selection, poetry, and a classical music selection.

I love it. We have learned so much this year.

FYI - lots of details in my review series posted last week too.

http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/tag/memoria-press-kindergarten/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, CherryBlossom.

I have a couple of questions.

After looking through the selections, I think we would go with First Grade Enrichment (he will be in first grade next year, and I like the selection more for him than the kinder selections). Would this (with the science books as well) cover history, literature, and science enough for the year, or did you find the enrichment guide to solely be enrichment for those subjects? I noted that you "wished for more" with the history/culture/science sections. Also, would I need the lesson plans as well as the enrichment guide?

Well, I'm not CherryBlossom but we're doing the second grade enrichment (and I have some posts about it on my blog), so I'll give you my input.

You don't need the lesson plans in addition to the Enrichment Guide. All the plans would do is tell you what day of the week to do each subject, but it's pretty simple: Monday-introduce the book, Tuesday-Art and Music, Wednesday-poem, Thursday-social studies, Friday- science. The Enrichment Guide does NOT have any information about the social studies and science portions. It just sends you in the right direction (study birds, define "ornithology," write one sentence in the Composition and Sketchbook). You need to find any information yourself (this is what the set of supplemental books is for). We do not have that set and have been substituting with books I do have and that has worked just fine. What the Enrichment Guide does have is a really interesting bio of the author, great questions to ask as you read, details to notice in the illustrations, vocabulary words, language lessons related to the book, short biographies of the poet, artist and composer. The guide is great for those categories.

Is it enough? Valid question! I've considered that again and again as well :). What I keep coming back to is that my goal for the K-2 years is to heavily emphasize the basic skill areas (reading, writing, math, beginning Latin). I definitely want exposure to science and history as well, but those are second-tier priorities for now. From that perspective, yes it is enough. Now I have taken some of our social studies/ science studies to a deeper level simply by adding in more books or projects, but I certainly don't do that every week and it's definitely not necessary!