Menu

Eggless cake? Or, where do I find that egg replacer stuff?

The Snort's birthday is today, but I wasn't planning on having cake tonight because he's allergic to eggs and I made no plans for an eggless cake, although I know such a thing exists. Also we're going to have some friends over for dinner to celebrate, but they are out of town for the weekend so I was saving the celebration for a little later in the week.

I think it was abbeyej who told me about ENRG Egg Replacer? Can I find that at the grocery store? Could I use it to whip up a cake mix so that my girls don't turn mutinous over not having cake on the baby's actual birthday?

Here is a link to some eggless cake recipes

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,eggless_cake,FF.html

And here are some options for egg replacement for regular recipes if you cannot find the Ener-G

1 egg = 2 Tbsp. potato starch

• 1 egg = 1/4 cup mashed potatoes

• 1 egg = 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or squash

• 1 egg = 1/4 cup puréed prunes

• 1 egg = 2 Tbsp. water + 1 Tbsp. oil + 2 tsp. baking powder

• 1 egg = 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed simmered in 3 Tbsp. water

• 1 egg white = 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again

Happy Birthday to your little one, it's my daughters birthday today too! :D

Our Kroger usually has egg replacer in the health food section. Also, if you have ground flax seed, you can substitute 1Tbsp. ground flax seeds + 2Tbsp water for 1 egg. I used ENRG egg replacer for years, but then switched to using the flax seed instead... I think it works great.

I buy mine at Whole Foods /Wild Oats in a box usually in the "health' sections although a local grocer carries it as well in the health food section. I use box cake mix by DHines and use the egg replacer in their recipe for a 13by 9 cake as the layered cakes do not come out of the pans well with the egg replacer. It is great to have for our egg free kiddos.I also add a tsp of vanilla for extra flavor because the eggs add richness notably absent from the recipe made with egg replacer. Be sure you use a fork to really beat the heck out of the powder and water mixture or else the texture is gummy. Happy Bday to your little one

The Snort's birthday is today, but I wasn't planning on having cake tonight because he's allergic to eggs and I made no plans for an eggless cake, although I know such a thing exists. Also we're going to have some friends over for dinner to celebrate, but they are out of town for the weekend so I was saving the celebration for a little later in the week.

I think it was abbeyej who told me about ENRG Egg Replacer? Can I find that at the grocery store? Could I use it to whip up a cake mix so that my girls don't turn mutinous over not having cake on the baby's actual birthday?

Yes, Ener-G Egg Replacer is sold at my local Kroger in the "natural" foods section, alongside other baking mixes.

*But*, even without it, most commercial cake mixes *will* bake up fairly well without eggs. There are several substitutions you can make with common household ingredients that will work fine. Here are a few. Other options include apple sauce, flax seeds blended with water, other fruit purées... Adding a wee extra pinch of baking powder helps as well, since eggs not only "glue" the batter together, but they leaven as well.

But truly, if you're planning to use a commercial cake mix, almost any of the above substitutes will be just fine and no one will know you left the eggs out! :) Really!

(ETA: I haven't had any trouble getting eggless -- or, for that matter, eggless, gluten-free -- cakes to come out of my layer pans. I do grease and flour [rice flour] the pans first...)

Just wanted to let y'all know that I tried an egg replacement recipe - water, oil and baking powder. It seemed like the "cakey" thing to do, you know? And I made cupcakes, thinking they would make the most sense for a 1 year old.

They turned out OK. I thought they tasted at little baking-powdery, but probably because I was expecting it. They were very light, and crumbly, and did not hold together very well. I will be posting some pics of Schmooey squishing his into smithereens, as any good boy would do with his first birthday cake! :lol:

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

They were very light, and crumbly, and did not hold together very well.

Next time do try adding a scoop of apple sauce, mashed banana or other fruit puree to the batter. Also adding a bit of starch (corn starch, potato starch, tapioca flour) can help with holding things together.

Next time do try adding a scoop of apple sauce, mashed banana or other fruit puree to the batter. Also adding a bit of starch (corn starch, potato starch, tapioca flour) can help with holding things together.

I guess I thought that it would work this way because I was using a cake mix. Silly me. I will be sure to stock up on applesauce. I have had applesauce brownies before and they were yummy! Also it sounded like a good idea to try pumpkin in brownies - mmmm. Just in time for fall, too. :)

I guess I thought that it would work this way because I was using a cake mix. Silly me. I will be sure to stock up on applesauce. I have had applesauce brownies before and they were yummy! Also it sounded like a good idea to try pumpkin in brownies - mmmm. Just in time for fall, too. :)

You don't need much... But I do find that using a bit of fruit puree (in addition to Egg Replacer, which includes both starch and leavening), replaces a little of the density/moisture in egg-less baking.