Menu

The Wolfpack: documentary about family locked in apartment

JennyD

What about fire codes? Surely there are laws against locking people in with no way out? Or perhaps this was one of those buildings with window-accessed fire escape ladders, so they could in fact get out in an emergency?

Again, you need to read the article about the family. From what you are asking it clear you don't know anything about it.

They were not locked in a room. They were living in an apartment.  And apartment, especially in a NY housing project, is built up to normal fire codes. Are you in danger when you are locked in your house or apartment for the night? It was the same for them, only all the time. 

And the door wasn't locked from the outside so they could not escape...again, something you can easily find out for yourself. They were told by the father not to leave and they didn't.

• Like 5

Again, you need to read the article about the family. From what you are asking it clear you don't know anything about it.

They were not locked in a room. They were living in an apartment.  And apartment, especially in a NY housing project, is built up to normal fire codes. Are you in danger when you are locked in your house or apartment for the night? It was the same for them, only all the time. 

And the door wasn't locked from the outside so they could not escape...again, something you can easily find out for yourself. They were told by the father not to leave and they didn't.

I have read several articles, they each mentioned the kids being "locked in" and only the dad having the key.

I have lived in a house with a front door that could only be locked or unlocked from either the inside or the outside with a key, so that was the image that came to mind. In that house, if the door was locked and you did not have a key you could not open it from the inside. 

When I lock my door at night, I do not say I am locking myself in. Do others ordinarily use the term this way? "locked in" implies to me that one cannot open the door.

Is there a better explanation somewhere that what I have read about what "locked in" meant in this case?