Ali in OR

Dr. Hive--Diagnose me!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What am I sick with?

• Acute Bronchitis
    • Pneumonia
    • Influenza
    • Something else

Two weeks ago (Sunday Jan 11), I began to get that tell-tale scratchy throat that means a cold is coming on. But it didn't land in my head--I started coughing the next day and within a day or two it was a productive cough, but not a huge amount of mucus. I got chills on Monday so I took my temperature and it was normal. But for two weeks the cough has pretty much stayed the same, I have little appetite, I am easily fatigued, and I sometimes have chills. Yesterday I felt horrible after taking my disabled dd to her Friday night activity, which involves me getting her in and out of her wheelchair to change to/from swim clothes and then climbing stairs around the building to get to the observation area. My abs really hurt. I've had periodic back pain too. I was short of breath after the stairs.

My self-diagnosis was acute bronchitis but I'm concerned it's not getting better. Then after a day of lots of micronaps and little activity, I took my temp this evening and it was 101. I had not taken it at all since 12 days ago. So I will go to Urgent care tomorrow to see if I have pneumonia and maybe there's a nice antibiotic that can make me feel all better. But I'm curious--anyone want to make their best guess diagnosis? And when will I get my appetite and energy back?

My vote is pneumonia based on my DD's and my own experiences, but honestly, it doesn't sound that far off from what my dad just went through, and he was diagnosed with bronchitis (x-ray ruled out pneumonia). It could really be either, but both will involve antibiotics and a LOT of rest. Take care of yourself!

This is what I was going to write, but replace DD with DS and dad with mom! 

I hope you are on the road to recovery very soon.

Awesome job, Dr. Hive! Pneumonia it is, of the walking variety. I've got antibiotics and an inhaler now and hopefully will be on the mend soon.

Oooh, so sorry :( I'm glad you were able to get to the doctor though. Abx and an inhaler are what my youngest DD needed when she had pneumonia at the end of the summer. She recovered very nicely. I hope you do as well!