Menu

WWE and handwriting question (HWOT)

TyraTooters

My 7 (almost 8) year old is getting ready to start WWE. His handwriting and form isn't all that great, and no, I'm not looking for perfection. He is really stubborn when it comes to me helping him but he's quick to complain that his arm/fingers/hand hurt or gets super upset when I remind him that his letters are formed wrong or living on the wrong lines. I've been thinking about trying Handwriting Without Tears to reinforce the proper way of doing things. I'm just afraid that between the two it would be overkill. 

Has anyone used both at the same time somehow? 

My DD7 is now doing WWE2, and she has always done handwriting practice daily as a separate subject (we use Pentime). WWE is not designed to be handwriting practice. The written work is focused on language mechanics like capitalization, punctuation, etc. though of course using good handwriting is encouraged. As long as your son knows how to form his letters and can write legibly, I would do the handwriting practice as a separate subject in order to focus on improving his letter formation and then not address it in the WWE copywork unless you know he's not even trying and it's way off the mark.

So, yes, you can most certainly do handwriting practice and WWE at the same time. It is not overkill at all.

HTH!

ETA: I should clarify that the WWE copywork should be copied exactly, with no mistakes in the spelling or punctuation. I was just referring to whether or not to address the actual letter formation.

My DD7 is now doing WWE2, and she has always done handwriting practice daily as a separate subject (we use Pentime). WWE is not designed to be handwriting practice. The written work is focused on language mechanics like capitalization, punctuation, etc. though of course using good handwriting is encouraged. As long as your son knows how to form his letters and can write legibly, I would do the handwriting practice as a separate subject in order to focus on improving his letter formation and then not address it in the WWE copywork unless you know he's not even trying and it's way off the mark.

So, yes, you can most certainly do handwriting practice and WWE at the same time. It is not overkill at all.

HTH!

ETA: I should clarify that the WWE copywork should be copied exactly, with no mistakes in the spelling or punctuation. I was just referring to whether or not to address the actual letter formation.

THANK YOU! That's what I was thinking but I just wanted to be sure. Your answer was perfect!!

The philosophy of HWoT is for kids to practice making letters/words correctly, just a few at a time.  They would rather kids make 5 correct letter a's than 20 incorrect ones--so the workbook for HWoT doesn't even have a worksheet to do for each day.  And when the lesson plans do call for a worksheet in the activity book, it is usually only one short page.   

I've used HWoT for remediation of poor handwriting skills and found it to be quite helpful.

One thing to keep in mind is that HWoT uses double lined paper, not the traditional triple lines.  I really do like the HWoT paper.