Menu

I like One Minute Reader app for iPad to improve fluency in ADHD/dyslexic DS

DeniseF

I have used this app with my ADHD/dyslexic DS for a couple of weeks and wanted to just mention it on this board as an app that has really helped him stay focused...for one minute...to read quickly.  He is at the E level which means early 1st grade level.  It has a series of short topics...like Fleas, Walking Sticks, etc, that are very short.  First the child does a 'cold read' with no help.  It measures how many words he can read in one minute.  Then he gets a read-along which means the app has a human (synthesized?) voice reading the story as he looks at the words, with the currently read sentence highlighted, so he can familiarize himself with the story.  There are some words in blue which can be clicked on to see a definition.  Then he begins a series of timed one-minute readings which give him an opportunity for repeated readings and he can see how his score improves.  It shows a 'thermometer' type meter to show him the difference between his cold read score and his hot read score.  It has been very motivating for my DS and has given him a chance to see himself, and therefore believe himself to be, a fluent reader.  the iPad app is about $20 but it includes about 25 or 30 of these segments (check the numbers but it's quite a few).  They have various levels beginning at the E level and then going up a few grade levels.  I love that this app gives him all he needs to work completely independently on improving his reading fluency, and most of all, it's great practice and great confidence builder.

It sounds like it might be great for some sets of kids, but it doesn't sound like it would work with my severely dyslexic kids. I don't want my kids to get in the practice of a lot of guessing by trying to read word they can't yet decode. Also the topics you listed as early first grade would be way too difficult for cure parent second grader as he needs controlled texts to practice his decoding skills.