Menu

Math help!

Katerine234

I am currently homeschooling my 5 year old son. We will be finishing up Singapore Essentials B very soon and I am stumped at what to do next. We will be continuing to homeschool till he starts 1st grade at a public school when he turns 7. I would love to have a math program that would prepare him for the public school's 1st grade math. There are so many different approaches to math and I am clueless as to what approach I should be taking? Is there anyone out there that can help me?

If he has finished up Singapore Essentials he is actually already prepared for 1st grade math.  

Math Mammoth is Common Core aligned and finishing Singapore Essentials would mean he is ready to start Math Mammoth 1st grade math curriculum.  I am sure there are plenty of others that will give him a good math foundation…I just did some research for my own middle child and know that Singapore Essentials leads into Math Mammoth well.  Being only 5 you might want to look for a curriculum that is more hands on than Math Mammoth is or at least supplement the curriculum with hands on activities.

Well, you have some time to kill. :) You can use it to help him build confidence and number sense.

I'd encourage you to

• try out ten frames with him (Google for resources; I made some from 3x5 cards and two different colored dot markers);
  • show him how Cuisenaire rods work (and then maybe help him do the orange book of Miquon with them);
  • do some easy word problems (Minute Math kindergarten is one product that would work, but I'm sure others can suggest more); and
  • work on general reasoning skills with books like Lollipop Logic. DS is doing it now, but I think it would work for late kindergarten also.

These are all inexpensive and will make first-grade math feel fairly easy when he gets there.

I would suggest Miquon as a really fun way to approach math.  There is a little bit of a learning curve with the program but it is so fun and would be great for you son's age.  There is so much flexibility with the program that you could allow your son to explore his interests as deeply as he wants to.