Menu

Inspirational stories of people who made major changes in middle age.

PrincessMommy

I'm curious to hear stories of people who really went outside the box and started over (or started new) once they were older (I'm thinking 45 and over). 

More than just going back to college to get a degree and start a new career (those are great, but not what I'm thinking about).  Maybe they gave it all up and started a farm... or went off into the Mission field (or worked for secular groups like Doctor's Without Borders, Peace Corp., etc.).  Maybe they went from city/suburb living to living off the land or learned to be a bush pilot or something.

I dunno... I just need some inspiration that we can learn something radically new or radically change our lives after 50.

Anyone know of someone who's done something like that?

Although you said not to include stories about going back to university for a new career, my Aunt's story is pretty unusual and I find it inspiring. She had always wanted to be a doctor and wasn't able to pursue that until she was in her 40s. She was in her late 50s by the time she finished all the schooling and residency, etc. But she did obtain her dream of being an ER surgeon. That particular career is something people are often told they cannot start later in life, so I like to think it highlights how it is never too late to start again.

A friend of mine sold her farm, moved across the country, and now lives on a sailboat.

Although you said not to include stories about going back to university for a new career, my Aunt's story is pretty unusual and I find it inspiring. She had always wanted to be a doctor and wasn't able to pursue that until she was in her 40s. She was in her late 50s by the time she finished all the schooling and residency, etc. But she did obtain her dream of being an ER surgeon. That particular career is something people are often told they cannot start later in life, so I like to think it highlights how it is never too late to start again.

A friend of mine sold her farm, moved across the country, and now lives on a sailboat.

I like that story and it's similar enough to fit into what I am looking for. -- and it *is* inspiring.  Thanks!