Menu

Teaching Textbooks or other DVD math

nwmama

We've been using Singapore and Saxon for 1st and 2nd grade. I'm not unhappy with them but at some point I want to do a DVD math program. My aunt uses Teaching Textbooks and loves it so that's the first one I looked at. I do have a question that I can't find the answer to on their website. If I use the program for multiple kids, do I have to buy the workbook and answer book for each child each year or is there a way I can just buy a workbook if I already have the answer book for that year?

And I know Art Reed does DVDs for Saxon but he doesn't start them until middle school and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

If you use the workbooks (not everyone does) then each child needs their own.  I don't see the need for the answer book since the program is designed for you to take the problems  and enter them into the computer.  The workbook and computer problems are the same.  It isn't in addition to the computer program.  The computer program teaches the lesson then the answers are entered into the computer.  The computer program grades everything.  

I would mention that a lot of kids do not retain the material long term if they don't also write down their work.  Plus, getting them used to writing down their work while the problems are easier may make it easier for them to continue writing things down when the problems get more complex and it becomes critical for them to write out the steps.  I preferred the workbooks to scratch paper, by the way, because it was faster and there were fewer chances of error from copying the problems incorrectly.  The early level you really don't need a workbook, though.  Mostly the kids can just do the problems on the computer.  You might have a dry erase board handy, though, if they need some extra work space.

TT works really, really well for many kids.  A LOT of parents have loved this system.  I have used it with both kids in the past and found it had many things that were well done.  Just be aware that for some the grades in TT will not reflect how well they actually know and have mastered the material.  The system, being computer based, as a few limitations.  For one thing, kids who are clever can find ways to sort of cheat the system, even if they aren't aware they are doing it.  Also, conceptual skills are not as emphasized with this program.  Some kids need more conceptual instruction to truly understand what they are doing instead of just learning how to punch in numbers to get an answer.

What if you tried TT, but continued Singapore as a supplement?  That way it takes some of the time pressure off of you for prepping lessons but the conceptual side of things is still there, too?

May I ask why you want to switch to DVD based math with really young learners?  FWIW, a lot of kids as young as yours actually seem to do better with math games, practical application math and parent led instruction than DVD based instruction.  If you want something less teacher intensive, have you considered something like CLE?

What if you tried TT, but continued Singapore as a supplement?  That way it takes some of the time pressure off of you for prepping lessons but the conceptual side of things is still there, too?

May I ask why you want to switch to DVD based math with really young learners?  FWIW, a lot of kids as young as yours actually seem to do better with math games, practical application math and parent led instruction than DVD based instruction.  If you want something less teacher intensive, have you considered something like CLE?

I'll continue with Singapore no matter what. I like having 2 math programs, 1 mastery and 1 spiral, so that they get used to different ways of doing math. We do math throughout the year so it's easy to fit 2 programs into our schedule. But since Singapore is fairly teacher intensive and I supplement with the Right Start games and abacus and LoF, I'd like to make the 2nd program less so.

We don't write in our workbook.  We have a separate notebook to copy the questions in to.  If you go this route, you can reuse the workbook again and again with different kids.  If you have two in the same grade, I would just have them do math at separate times, this way you only need one workbook.  You also only need one answer key.

We use TT. We have workbooks on the shelf, but the kids don't write in them (we've used grades 5 and 6). I like having the hard copy on the shelf - it is helpful to be able to thumb through it and quickly see who is working on what concept, etc. So, yes, we expect to be able to have all the kids use the same materials - very cost effective!