Menu

new question about college major

AngieW in Texas

My daughter typed up a description of what she is interested in, which didn't really match what I thought she had been telling me she wanted to do.

She wants to work in business, preferably international, but has absolutely zero interest in ever opening her own business of any kind. She is looking more at a sales associate or company liaison type position in a large corporation. She wants to work closely with people, whether they be customers or company representatives, and she leans heavily towards the "sales" aspect of things. She has interest in real estate as a second option, and so has considered being a real estate agent, but finds herself more interested in the corporate business route. She does not particularly care about what kind of industry it would be in (i.e. in sales in the tech industry or company representative in the pharmaceutical industry), but she knows she wants to be working on the more large-scale, corporate angle rather than sales in shops on the street.

So what kind of major would be best for this? She told me that she definitely is not interested in the pharmaceutical industry, but it was an example she thought of where you deal with sales on a corporate level.

And what schools would be best for this major and are also LGBT-friendly?

I'd also be looking at business degrees as she's going to need to know a bit about the big picture as well as smaller details.

I think all but the conservative religious colleges are LGBT friendly - at least they are around us.

What sort of fit would she like?  (rural/suburban/city, large/medium/small, etc)

Look at matching her stats too, of course.

Many colleges offer degrees in International Business. Sometimes it's a "concentration" in their business admin degree program. Marketing would be another option. I would suggest reading through the course descriptions for the required courses in each major and see what sounds the most appealing.

If there was one industry she was particularly interested in, she may want to considering minoring in that field (so for real estate, maybe a minor in architecture; for pharmaceuticals, maybe chemistry; etc.) Or do the opposite, major in chemistry and minor in business. Just as an example, I use to work for a large national engineering firm and the project development / marketing / sales department was comprised almost entirely of people with a bachelors degree in engineering and then MBAs in Marketing.