Menu

Those of you that do testing at home...

Do you use whatever accommodations your child needs? I'm getting ready to use the PASS test for my 4th grader. I'm a little late administering it:( Anyway, is it ok for me to read the areas to him that he needs help with? I was also planning on letting him have a multiplication chart since he cant seem to retain his multiplication facts. He is dyslexic.

Thanks,

Sandy

Do you have accommodations recommended by whoever evaluated your son for his dyslexia diagnosis?

Generally, it is considered an acceptable accommodation to read all portions of the test that are not actually testing reading.

As for using the multiplication chart, the PASS test doesn't separate computation from the rest of math.  So if you give him a multiplication chart, you are not giving him an accommodation--you are modifying the test, which is a different thing.  Does he have any alternative approaches to multiplication he can use (skip counting, for example) that may be time consuming but that get the job done?  Since the PASS test is untimed, using time-intensive methods will work.

EKS, yes he does. I contacted Susan Barton and got a list of dyslexia testers in my area. I don't have them in front of me but the teacher is to read everything orally and he is to have access to a calculator or charts. I do t understand how using a multiplication chart is modifying the test. Can you please clarify. He does not have any other reliable means of multiplying.

EKS, yes he does. I contacted Susan Barton and got a list of dyslexia testers in my area. I don't have them in front of me but the teacher is to read everything orally and he is to have access to a calculator or charts. I do t understand how using a multiplication chart is modifying the test. Can you please clarify. He does not have any other reliable means of multiplying.

Since part of what the test is testing is unaided computation, it is a modification.  It's sort of like reading the words aloud that the kid can't read himself on the reading test because he can't remember how to read them.

But, really, you should do what you think is appropriate.