Menu

Teaching improvements for 2015

After reading the thread here about how to improve one's teaching, I followed up on the suggestion to read Rafe Esquith's Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire.  

Rafe's dedication to his students, his profession, and his own personal code is inspiring.  He seems to have, over 25 years, set goals, reflected upon his strengths and failures, and made changes that really impacted his kids.  So, instead of stewing in my own teaching funk, I thought it might be more productive to reflect and set some new goals.  You want to join in?

I'd also be interested in hearing from veterans... am I on the right track?  I'm trying to temper my idealism, but I know it's there.  

-- The bare bones beginning is that my teaching could use thoughtful goal setting and planning beyond what pages to read, and when.  I'm not talking daily lesson plans, but a set of goals for each subject that are paired with hands on activities, books and media that might add interest.

I've been good about doing this with books because DS is a reader.  It works well in history and science.  I'll keep doing that.  

-- Read through curriculum selections in advance.  Get a feel for the larger ideas before I start, and note how/if these contribute to my goals.    Math is shaming me right now.  I have thoroughly failed to connect the concept of expanded form to place value by just doing the next thing.  This is a HUGE concept that permeates mental math, problem solving, and provides a foundation for why algorithms work.  DS does the practice problems, gets the right answer, but has no clue why he's doing it.  I need some umbrella knowledge to prioritize concepts like this that we build upon.  

-- Let the goals and MASTERY of those goals guide our homeschool, not the curriculum check box.  This is probably going to be the big teaching shift of 2015.  

There are times when DS has mastered something, but he doesn't get the benefit of hearing me acknowledge it OR moving on.  He hears, "Just do the exercise."  I expect this is one reason why we have a great deal of head butting.  It's OK to skip practice problems that are mastered, hitting them only occasionally for review.      

-- Hands on activities are vitally important and deserve scheduled time in our homeschool.  They should also serve as measurement tools.  I know this.  But somehow, they have taken on the "icing" label in my schedule because I haven't planned them.   

-- Enjoyment/consistent frustration is a valid indicator of what is/isn't working in school subjects.  Plowing through an activity is not desirable, but sometimes practically acceptable.  Chores come to mind.  In learning, consistent frustration is the enemy.  Any sign of him warrants thoughtful consideration about how/if to proceed.

-- Stay on task.  School is the priority from 9 - 12.  I can not keep my head in the game setting the pace if I'm doing laundry/ writing emails/ baking in between latin and cursive.  Doesn't work.  I know this.  Yet I do it.  Get the home out of homeschool.  

I may come back to add more later, but this seems like a good start.  And I feel better having these concrete terms written out. ;)

For me, the path to good school yrs is always the same--go through the materials in large chunks (weeks' worth at a time) myself so that I have the bigger picture firmly planted in my mind.  Create realistic daily objectives.  Make sure my kids are aware of the objectives.  Ask lots of leading questions when they struggle vs. just relying on direct teaching to simply replicate.  Make sure I watch for their cues....are they overwhelmed with frustration or exerting effort b/c it is an appropriate level of challenge?

FWIW, I have to do work while we do school.  Our lives would fall apart if I couldn't multi-task.

Another FWIW, a lot of what you describe sounds similar to the 4 Hallmarks of Jesuit Pedagogy.  :)

My main goal is the same boring one it always is - persistence and consistency.

I hear you.

I just happen to be persistent and consistent in a lot of unnecessary things with a DS who has some unique issues.  It has made school a bit of a mess.  (We're in the middle of testing with him).  Hopefully, as we start to get some answers, I can start being persistently consistent in the right things, and in the right way. ;)   

Multi quote isn't working, so 8Filltheheart said:  

For me, the path to good school yrs is always the same--go through the materials in large chunks (weeks' worth at a time) myself so that I have the bigger picture firmly planted in my mind.  Create realistic daily objectives.  Make sure my kids are aware of the objectives.  Ask lots of leading questions when they struggle vs. just relying on direct teaching to simply replicate.  Make sure I watch for their cues....are they overwhelmed with frustration or exerting effort b/c it is an appropriate level of challenge?

FWIW, I have to do work while we do school.  Our lives would fall apart if I couldn't multi-task.

Another FWIW, a lot of what you describe sounds similar to the 4 Hallmarks of Jesuit Pedagogy.   :)

First, thank you for sharing your wisdom --  I had the thought while writing out the planning goal that a monthly read through of our materials would be a good idea to help with that big picture thing.   

Re other work during homeschool... I think you nailed an idealism.  I need to swing back on that one and narrow it down to something more reasonable... I will be putting sheets in the drier between math and spelling.  I won't be conversing via email/online, though.  That kind of thing is hard for me to disengage from when I need to.  

I will be off to google the  4 hallmarks of Jesuit pedagogy when I finish here.  But I'll call this a good day if anything my brain and heart authored aligns with the Jesuits.   ;)