Menu

I'm a newbie, getting nervous, don't have all materials yet but they are on their way

Sharon

Hsing has been a topic in our house every summer for a long time. This year we are finally trying it with our youngest ds (almost 10) No problems in school, always did extremely well, but just felt there was something missing.I have been reading WTM on and off last few years and since we made decision to go forward with hsing our youngest ds , have been focused more intensely on it. Probably because I'm panicking, I keep going back and forth about science and history. I'm definately going to start with the ancients but am not sure how to do life sciences at his level. Should I just follow how she has it laid out in the book even though its for a first grader or do you have another suggestion for me. I know everyone is soooooo busy right now, but I'd really appreciate whatever advice you can give me:001_smile:

As far as I can figure out, what you do with a 10 year old is to follow along in the science sequence as described in WTM -- Life Science (5th), Earth/Space Science (6th), Chemistry (7th), Physics (8th) -- except that your student will read and discuss at a more in-depth level than at the grammar level. Your student will also conduct some experiments in each field of science and prepare written summaries of readings and science observations/experiements. Instead of following the recommendations for the grammar level (1-4), why not follow what WTM has laid out for logic level (5-8) science, but adjust the requirements to his grade/ability level (4th/5th)? There are resources listed for "kits" and books and possible projects. So, this year your son would study Ancients for History and Animals/Plants/Human Body for Science. Hope this helps.

Oh, and a revised edition of WTM is due out in February 2009, so that will probably have updated resource lists, if that helps you. Good luck!

Hello and welcome!

With my 10 yr old 5th grader we are using this free curriculum for life science:

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/Elem%20Life%20Science%20info.htm

He also has websites linked for each chapter, most of them look pretty good, and I'm supplementing with books we have and a microscope and basic sets of slides, just to have something to tinker with, lol.

hth!

Hsing has been a topic in our house every summer for a long time. This year we are finally trying it with our youngest ds (almost 10) No problems in school, always did extremely well, but just felt there was something missing.I have been reading WTM on and off last few years and since we made decision to go forward with hsing our youngest ds , have been focused more intensely on it. Probably because I'm panicking, I keep going back and forth about science and history. I'm definately going to start with the ancients but am not sure how to do life sciences at his level. Should I just follow how she has it laid out in the book even though its for a first grader or do you have another suggestion for me. I know everyone is soooooo busy right now, but I'd really appreciate whatever advice you can give me:001_smile:

Hi Sharon,

I'm newer to HSing as well. I have a 3rd and 1st grader this year.

My thoughts are that the WTM is a bit weak on the Natural Sciences.

We are using several Harcourt Science Books and Nebel's Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.

I spent several hours the other night going over the books combining the best of each. That is my way of handling the subject of Science.

Good luck to you on your HSing journey.:)

I'm assuming the 10yo just finished 4th grade.

Read/go off of the logic stage of WTM - it starts in 5th grade.(5th-8th garde)

For science you may want to go with a biology/life science curriculum for middle school like R.E.A.L. Science or Apologia. I think you can still use SOTW as a history spine for the logic stage - just go more indepth, read more books, do more activities and look into primary sources. I think you could also/instead of use a history encyclopedia (Like Kingfisher) as a spine.

Good Luck!