Menu

Tips for adjusting BJU science to work for us?

I ordered BJU DLO science 8 for my ds(13) with the $99 sale.  He used Apologia General last year, and really liked it.  The first part of this year he did Heart of Dakota Mission to Modern Marvels science, and he hated it.  I wanted to try BJU because I thought he would love the colorful text, and the teacher would help him understand more.  So far he has only completed the first chapter of the Earth and Space book, which was mostly philosophical.  He struggled at first answering all the section review questions, and he got a 55% on the test even though it was open book.

Does anyone have any advice for adjusting BJU to work for us?  Maybe it is too rigorous for this child, and we should go back to Apologia?  He is actually requesting to go back.  I am just sick of switching, and I was hoping maybe BJU E&S would get better after the first chapter.

I have no DLO experience.

But most review answers can be found around the cursive words in the text.

Dd says it helps to take a look at the 'objectives' from each chapter and to check the 'what did you learn' section.

We are in Lifescience now, and so you also have to learn the pictures that explain something (layers of skin p.e.)

And the first times I had dd to teach how to learn a BJU Test.

We've used BJU DLO for the last 3 years. I think there is definitely a learning curve compared to the material that you were using. The BJU approach is super traditional, and requires a little getting used to. I do think that it does a great job of teaching the kids to study in a more traditional way (and not just to the test - the tests are hard) and to learn HOW to use a textbook.

With my kids, I found that they did better highlighting the answers in the section reviews than writing them out. I used to have them keep a ntebook and write out all the answers - but their grades were as good or better with just highlighting - and it's faster - so I let the notebook go. Your student may benefit from the writing, though. When the SR questions are assigned (nearly daily!) I have them read the assigned section, highlight the answers, and annotate in the margin to which question the highlighting is matched. I have them do the same for chapter review questions. At first I would check their work - now I just know they're doing it.

Before the quizes - I have the kids review all their highlighted items, any bold words in the section, and any sidebar items. That's usually ample for quizes. At first I helped them - now I do not.

For tests - we do the same - but we start by reading through the chapter summary. It's so hysterical to me that kids don't even KNOW it's there unless you make them read it! Seriously. After reviewing that we go through all the SR questions, all the CR questions, double check the learning objectives for the chapters and make sure they're articulate in those, and then have them read through any side bar items. BJU always seems to sneak in a little from the side bar or pictures to make sure the kids are actually reading them. I would say a test prep time takes us maybe 30 minutes.

For the DLO - the kids DO need to watch each video, including the labs. As I tell my kids, "You actually have to pay attention!". LOL. They do cover the book on the tests - but the amplifying information and some of the discussion is nuanced on the tests.

FWIW, we didn't LOVE chapter 1 of the Earth and Space science. It's a little theoretical, and requires a pretty high level of spiritual maturity to actually get it. If you want - you can jump in a little later chapter to start. The history in 2 was a little dry - but I felt like my kids needed some of that. We're finidhing up chapter 8 and my kids are really LOVING the science.

I will admit this year we're not embracing the BJU labs like in years past. I bought an Academy of Science for Kids rocks and minerals kit and we're doing that, as well as having fun with Estes rockets. I'm planning a camping/geology trip in the spring, and my DD will likely take the full day, super-nuts-thorough tour of Johnson Space Center for her birthday - so I figure we'll more than cover the material!

Hopefully that helps a little! I would say we spend 45 minutes a day on science, and I'm super tough about making sure it's done every day. My kids are math / science kids so I am sure that helps a lot. :-) Hang in there!!!

We've used BJU DLO for the last 3 years. I think there is definitely a learning curve compared to the material that you were using. The BJU approach is super traditional, and requires a little getting used to. I do think that it does a great job of teaching the kids to study in a more traditional way (and not just to the test - the tests are hard) and to learn HOW to use a textbook.

With my kids, I found that they did better highlighting the answers in the section reviews than writing them out. I used to have them keep a ntebook and write out all the answers - but their grades were as good or better with just highlighting - and it's faster - so I let the notebook go. Your student may benefit from the writing, though. When the SR questions are assigned (nearly daily!) I have them read the assigned section, highlight the answers, and annotate in the margin to which question the highlighting is matched. I have them do the same for chapter review questions. At first I would check their work - now I just know they're doing it.

Before the quizes - I have the kids review all their highlighted items, any bold words in the section, and any sidebar items. That's usually ample for quizes. At first I helped them - now I do not.

For tests - we do the same - but we start by reading through the chapter summary. It's so hysterical to me that kids don't even KNOW it's there unless you make them read it! Seriously. After reviewing that we go through all the SR questions, all the CR questions, double check the learning objectives for the chapters and make sure they're articulate in those, and then have them read through any side bar items. BJU always seems to sneak in a little from the side bar or pictures to make sure the kids are actually reading them. I would say a test prep time takes us maybe 30 minutes.

For the DLO - the kids DO need to watch each video, including the labs. As I tell my kids, "You actually have to pay attention!". LOL. They do cover the book on the tests - but the amplifying information and some of the discussion is nuanced on the tests.

FWIW, we didn't LOVE chapter 1 of the Earth and Space science. It's a little theoretical, and requires a pretty high level of spiritual maturity to actually get it. If you want - you can jump in a little later chapter to start. The history in 2 was a little dry - but I felt like my kids needed some of that. We're finidhing up chapter 8 and my kids are really LOVING the science.

I will admit this year we're not embracing the BJU labs like in years past. I bought an Academy of Science for Kids rocks and minerals kit and we're doing that, as well as having fun with Estes rockets. I'm planning a camping/geology trip in the spring, and my DD will likely take the full day, super-nuts-thorough tour of Johnson Space Center for her birthday - so I figure we'll more than cover the material!

Hopefully that helps a little! I would say we spend 45 minutes a day on science, and I'm super tough about making sure it's done every day. My kids are math / science kids so I am sure that helps a lot. :-) Hang in there!!!

Thank you!  This really helps a lot.

FriedClams, thank you for sharing. Those are some great ideas. I'm introducing BJU science to ds this year in 6th, and it is a bit of a learning curve for him, too. 

Some things I am going to focus on this semester include outlining the chapters,taking notes during the videos, and best ways to study for a test. I've done a lot of hand-holding this semester and hope to ease off over time. I'm also not worried about covering the entire book. I'd rather take our time and ds really acquire some good study skills. It's not for credit yet, so I figure it's okay. 

Quizlet has a lot of flashcard sets for BJU curriculum, so I always look there for additional review help.