Menu

Question about Vitamins

emzhengjiu

My daughters and I are improving our diet to eat healthier and cleaner foods, but we're not there yet.  I would like us to start taking at least a multiple vitamin.  Our budget is limited so I would like to get the most for value for my money.  I have no idea if the brands in the big box stores are okay or not.  What are good brands and where can I buy them?  In the past, I would have bought a generic based mostly on price, but I'm not sure anymore if that's wise.  Did I mention our budget is limited.  Thanks.

You might want to check out this chart from Consumer Reports. http://consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/multivitamins/index.htm

Multis are kind of controversial with many people saying you don't need them etc.

FWIW, I do take one when I remember it LOL. I think with the trace minerals etc, if you take a multi once in a while you're unlikely to become deficient.

If I had to focus on what I think actually is important, this is what I'd say:  iron, D, B complex

I do think most women benefit from iron supplementation.

Vitamin D because few of us are outside as much as we need to be

B complex (I'm vegan so b12 is esp important for me but many people are b12 deficient, even if they eat animal products, esp as they start hitting middle age)

The expensive one that I wouldn't skip is EFA.  A good omega from wild salmon oil if you're an omni/veg or a vegan substitute (I'm using Ovega). I think Costco makes a good omega that's inexpensive....