Menu

After Phonics Pathways? (or similar)

myfatherslily

I'm looking at Phonics Pathways, Ordinary Parent's Guide, and the free Tanglewood program (http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bksrd.htm). Not sure yet which one I'll choose. But what would I use after? How complete are each of these? I got an older edition of The Well-Trained Mind from the library, before OPG was written. At that time, Phonics Pathways followed by English for the Thoughtful Child (or something similar to that... I have the name written down) was recommended. Has that changed at all? What is taught in that book? What other books/curriculum would be good?

Is that enough questions?:) I just like to have a basic idea of where we're headed:)

We just finished OPGTR (today) and it is very complete. It goes up to mutli-syllable words (there are 231 lessons - it took us all of K and 1st grade to finish). We will not be doing a reading/english program for 2nd grade. Dd will be reading actual books (mom pick), books to go along with science and history, WWE2 (writing) FLL2 (grammar), and Spelling Power (spelling). I figure that should cove Language Arts for 2nd grade. We will do vocabulary a little further down the road.

I am not familiar with the other 2 choices you named, but I used Phonics Pathways with my dd5. She took to reading very naturally and we actually left off about half way through. Now she is working her way through FLL, which we both enjoy, and we just started Spelling Power which I think will reinforce the spelling rules that she was too young to really memorize when we were working through Phonics Pathways. PP is pretty thorough I think.

Good luck deciding. :-)