Menu

Any tiny dog owners here?

jenn-

I know this board has some giant breed owners, but how about the tiny ones?  I really need some measurements from some of them.  My puppies are smallish (one's a 10lb JRT), but I know there are tiny dogs out there.  If I could get a neck size and length from base of neck to start of tail, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am trying to crochet some dog coats and just need a little help.

ETA:  Approximations would be helpful as well.

We have had JRT's here before. Right now we have a mini schnauzer who is very small for the breed (smaller then the JRT was) and a mini poodle/aussie shepherd. The schnauzer is 13" from base of neck to base of tail and approximately 11" around the neck.

I would say the JRT's on average would have deeper chests, but that isn't a measurement you asked for and they would probably have slightly thicker necks.

We have had JRT's here before. Right now we have a mini schnauzer who is very small for the breed (smaller then the JRT was) and a mini poodle/aussie shepherd. The schnauzer is 13" from base of neck to base of tail and approximately 11" around the neck.

I would say the JRT's on average would have deeper chests, but that isn't a measurement you asked for and they would probably have slightly thicker necks.

Thanks so much for replying.  Those are the exact measurements of my JRT.  I'm really needing neck sizes for the chihuahuas, toy poodles (or mini), shih tzus, or any other dog that would typically get cut at the groomers.  I have found a vet that is considering selling my crocheted coats, but I don't really have a clue about the neck size to start the patterns with other breeds.  I have found a few charts that would help with length of the coats.

Thanks so much for replying.  Those are the exact measurements of my JRT.  I'm really needing neck sizes for the chihuahuas, toy poodles (or mini), shih tzus, or any other dog that would typically get cut at the groomers.  I have found a vet that is considering selling my crocheted coats, but I don't really have a clue about the neck size to start the patterns with other breeds.  I have found a few charts that would help with length of the coats.

The mini poodle cross here is still under standard mini size (he's 6months). Right now his collar is at 10".

I'd be happy to take my Shih Tzu's measurements if you want them, but at 15 pounds he's not exactly tiny.

I'd be happy to take my Shih Tzu's measurements if you want them, but at 15 pounds he's not exactly tiny.

I would love to have them.  If you are measuring him, could you give me a waist size (probably the area just below the rib cage)?  My dogs are shaped like mini greyhounds with the deep chest and teeny tiny waists, and I know shih tzus are more of a straight shape.  At this point I am probably going to have to try to make them adjustable as just trying to make some fitted ones for my own dogs required numerous adjustments to the patterns I have tried.

I would love to have them.  If you are measuring him, could you give me a waist size (probably the area just below the rib cage)?  My dogs are shaped like mini greyhounds with the deep chest and teeny tiny waists, and I know shih tzus are more of a straight shape.  At this point I am probably going to have to try to make them adjustable as just trying to make some fitted ones for my own dogs required numerous adjustments to the patterns I have tried.

Neck -- 11"

Base of neck to tail -- 11.5"

Waist -- 15.5"

His hair is thick and fluffy and medium length.  On dogs like Shih Tzu I would think the length and type of coat (some are more cottony and others are more silky) could make a significant difference?

Hope that helps!