Menu

Need to drop some extracurriculars, but not sure which ones...

I don't think there is anywhere any more affordable for riding where I am though I think I would only have to do the lessons. I wish they did the boys for free ballet here as I had to pull ds7 out when he started school and now doesn't want to go back. Honestly now I know how much it costs I would try and switch to a once a fortnight lot lesson or maybe 3 times a week for a month over summer. You have four kids and you need to plan ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest submarines

And I thought we were crazy with how much we spend for DD13 hbr and how much driving we do. You beat me, OP. Our lessons used to be $40 for 30 minutes, and are now $50 for 1h, and a half lease that includes two lessons and 2 unstructured rides a week is $800/mo, but we are not paying nearly as much because DD is working in the barn towards this arrangement.

However, I'm wondering how did you end up with a lease at his age. How long has he been riding? DD started at 8 with some summer camp and occasional lessons, started weekly lessons at 9, and just started leasing this fall. We've been through several barns and none encourage a lease or a half lease to an 8 yo, especially when parents aren't horsey! Most instructors won't even start children until they are 9.

I think that whoever encouraged you to lease didn't have your DS's best interest in mind. A deep relationship with a horse is wonderful, but most instructors will tell you that at this age they should be riding as many horses as they can, as opposed to getting used to one horse. So unless you can lease *and* ride different horses, this might not be exactly contributing to his growth.

Another question is, is he being taught to *ride* or to sit through the jumps on a horse who knows his job? He may end up unable to actually ride other horses after leasing this horse or ride at all, and he'll be back to the very beginning. I get the thrill of jumping--DD took lessons at an eventing barn for a year and she loved it. But it took her some time to realize that she wasn't riding. The horse was cantering and jumping, she was a passenger, 90% of the time. It wasn't totally useless--she did develop a great seat, but she also "rode" different horses there, which somewhat helped. But when she came to her current barn with "two years of experience" she was surprised how different and challenging was to be actually able to get the horse to do exactly what you needed it to do. Though she'd never had any typical corrections on her seat, so it all worked out well.

I obviously "fed" DD's passion (and no regrets), but see if there isn't a better choice out there for your DS in terms of where and how he rides.

I can't give any advice for the OP's specific choices or situation.

I know nothing about horses.

Our priorities (in no particular order) for extra curricular activities:

1) Something for exercise.  I come from a long line of short, round, German women.  I want my girls to be exposed to as many types of sports as possible, and to have several regular favorites by the time they become adults.

2) Something for art.  This may be dance, visual arts (painting, drawing, etc), disciplined writing, or music.

3) Something that can be used as a second income when my child is grown.  This may be woodworking or teaching piano or teaching swim lessons. 

4) Something that is a support for my child's current career/college direction.  (This will be more apparent as my children age).

Since older dd is Nature-oriented (and wants to be a Paleontologist), this may include:
--Hiking trips through our local Nature Center and the local University Rec Club
--Geode and fossil trips with her dad
--Rock tumbling, rock collecting
--Climbing
--Classes that teach plant and animal identification
--Canoeing/Kayaking
--Gun use and safety.  (There are Polar Bears where some fossils are found!)