Menu

Calvert users, please encourage me

Tiramisu

I decided to buy two sets of used Calvert to try last winter for 1st and 3rd grades this year with dd6 and dd8 because I was concerned that they might be missing things. I had planned well for my eldest dd 13, knowing I would be homeschooling her, but I was unprepared for the two others and had my doubts as to what I was doing--that was before I found this board! Now that I know so much more, I almost wish I didn't buy these sets. I have to admit that the Calvert children I know are very well educated, but I don't know how I'll pull this off. There are so many instructions to read each day!

Please let me know how you've done this with multiple children and if there is anything you've figured out on your journey that will help me. :)

Thanks in advance! I know you'll make me feel better.

P.S. We are sticking with Horizons Math for 1st and Abeka for 3rd because they have worked incredibly well for them.

I decided to buy two sets of used Calvert to try last winter for 1st and 3rd grades this year with dd6 and dd8 because I was concerned that they might be missing things. I had planned well for my eldest dd 13, knowing I would be homeschooling her, but I was unprepared for the two others and had my doubts as to what I was doing--that was before I found this board! Now that I know so much more, I almost wish I didn't buy these sets. I have to admit that the Calvert children I know are very well educated, but I don't know how I'll pull this off. There are so many instructions to read each day!

Please let me know how you've done this with multiple children and if there is anything you've figured out on your journey that will help me. :)

Thanks in advance! I know you'll make me feel better.

P.S. We are sticking with Horizons Math for 1st and Abeka for 3rd because they have worked incredibly well for them.

I have one dc using Calvert (5th grade) and I agree it can be overwhelming! My advice is to read through the lessons pretty thoroughly so that I am already familiar with it before I start with him. At the 5th grade level I have also broken it down onto an assignment sheet as to what he can do without me and what he has to do with me.

My youngers are not using Calvert, but rather doing a classical/Core Knowledge combo.

I'm afraid I won't have the time to read thoroughly.

I have one dc using Calvert (5th grade) and I agree it can be overwhelming! My advice is to read through the lessons pretty thoroughly so that I am already familiar with it before I start with him. At the 5th grade level I have also broken it down onto an assignment sheet as to what he can do without me and what he has to do with me.

My youngers are not using Calvert, but rather doing a classical/Core Knowledge combo.

I will have to do my best. If we can't get done everything everyday--except math!--we'll aim for quality. And lots of good books on the side!

Thanks!

In both grades it's math, reading and writing (handwriting practice).

Calvert tends to push composition early so don't worry if your 3rd grader can't do all the composition assignments. Skip the phonics if you dc can read well. Science, critical thinking, history and geography is nice but not as important at 3rd grade.

Can your dh read aloud either science or history at night with your 3rd grader?

For 1st grade do math, reading & handwriting; skip the rest (if you don't have time) and have dc listen to 3rd grader's lesson in history and science.

Good Luck!

In both grades it's math, reading and writing (handwriting practice).

Calvert tends to push composition early so don't worry if your 3rd grader can't do all the composition assignments. Skip the phonics if you dc can read well. Science, critical thinking, history and geography is nice but not as important at 3rd grade.

Can your dh read aloud either science or history at night with your 3rd grader?

For 1st grade do math, reading & handwriting; skip the rest (if you don't have time) and have dc listen to 3rd grader's lesson in history and science.

This advice is so practical! Thank you so much! It makes sense but I couldn't really tease it out with the way that the Calvert lesson plans are made out. I guess I can just check off what we do and progress in each subject as its own pace. Dd is a strong reader and got a perfect score in spelling on her standardized test so we could probably skip the phonics, and having her use the spelling CD seems like it would customize her lessons and cut out any busy work.

BTW, Michelle, thanks so much for your recommendations of CLE reading. I am so impressed with their workbook and am waiting for the reader to come. It seems to be exactly what I've been looking for to train dd13 to be a close and careful reader. I will certainly consider it for the others--if Calvert is not a good fit.:tongue_smilie:

We continue to use Calvert science but read it aloud together (up to gr. 8). We learn so much & are are happier when we read the textbooks all together in science, history, geography and even some literature (we're using Calvert 6 science, geography & art history this year).

CLE reading and math are very good. We'll be using CLE math & reading 6 this year. CLE reading is challenging because of the workbook assignments but your dc, with a little help and taking your time with it (don't be afraid to take 2 days to do 1 lesson at first), will do fine and be well prepared for high school.

I use Calvert 4th and Calvert Kindergarten and I too admit that it can be daunting. I don't do a lot of skipping with my older son - mostly I skip things like explanations of things he already knows. My advice to you is to scan the top right list of assignments at the beginning of each lesson. When you turn to the page, if it is a new concept, go to the section heading for that one thing and review or teach it. If it is something your child already knows, have him/her do the lesson without the teaching part.

For K, I skip a lot of the material that my son already knows - I skip the part where they are teaching the letters and sounds because my son already knows it...and I supplement with other things that he can do on his own...like Explode the Code.

That said, I am very diligent about reading through the next day's lesson each night after they are in bed. I like to read it for ideas on how to teach as well as just something that may make it easier for my son to learn. Calvert has some really neat suggestions and ideas that are, unfortunately, often buried in all the black and white print. I read and then highlight the parts I find important so I can use just those things the next day.

I've used Calvert for grades PreK, 1, 2nd, 3rd , 4th (5th grade math) we were starting 5th grade this year with my two oldest children.

It was doable but a little daunting at the same time. I added child number three to the mix of things and I became VERY overwhelmed after three days.

Even with giving out the independent work to my oldest to do I still had to tend to my 8yr old and my 5yr old . School ended up already taking us all day to do. Meaning I started at 9 am and we were finishing around 5pm. Because I was just getting to my older daughter towards the end of the day with the stuff I needed to explain to her. Not good.

We are with a cyberschool though so I am switching her over to live online classes so I can work with my two younger children. I am hoping it will work because my oldest really likes the novels she's been reading with Calvert.

There is alot of reading of the manual involved. Alot of tweaking , some children may work through it faster then others. Others may need more supplementing and so on.

Calvert is heavy on the compositions early on and it doesn't explain very well how to teach a child to write either if you don't have a natural writer. The math well I've used better.

I think once you get past child number 2 Calvert can be very difficult to teach. Just my two cents of course.

Michelle, Tree House Academy and Tracy R.

I'm having a bad day with Calvert....

My dds 8 and 6 are taking turns having meltdowns.

There are so many instructions and discussion for each one that there is not choice but to go back and forth between them. Both feel that there work is being interrupted consantly by what I'm doing with the other and they can't concentrate because of all the talking going on. Of course, discussion is good, but I'm going to have to figure out a way for both of them to work efficiently. This is after cutting back on whatever I can.

Meanwhile, I need to teach the big dd algebra and have to take care of the toddler.

A workbook curriculum for the basics (with science and social studies family style) is looking really good right now!

At least math is being done well and dd8 is reading a good book instead of kid's pulp fiction...