Menu

Grading math - we need advice

OK, so here we are on the roller coaster of math fun!

At this point, we've reviewed algebra I chapters one and two like, um, three times now.

DS is still missing about 4 - 8 problems a lesson (there are only 24 or so).

When we go over the lesson reading material, watch the instructional lesson, do the practice problems together and check - one by one - ds does fairly well. Hand it to him to watch independently and do, he gets 4 - 8 wrong. VERY frustrating for us both. Diligence or lack of understanding? Who knows~~~

Should I still be handholding at this point?

Also, what am I to do about his (gasp) grade???? I know as homeschoolers we don't have to keep them but for credit and his transcripts I want to.

At this point, he'd basically be failing Algebra. Thank God he's not, but if he were in public school - yikes. He'd be soo far behind.

Since he's home we have the benefit of going very slow and addressing problems as they come up.

Is it "legit" to do corrections for each lesson before grading? That seems very, um, unethical. I don't however want to give the boy an F!!

I do not put a letter grade on math homework. When it is completed I just assume that ALL of the problems have been worked out correctly. My students (and dd) are instructed to check their own work--after every problem if they need too--and to find/correct any errors BEFORE they 'turn it in'.

Homework is a tool for the students to practice and learn with. Expecting students to watch a lecture or read their text and then MASTER their assignments is a bit unrealistic. Also--in a school situation--the students are allowed to ask teacher/parents/friends/tutors for help...so who actually 'earned' the grade.

I usually give 10 points for each completed homework assignment. If for some reason some problems were not completed/corrected by the student I would award fewer points (8-9)...if they did not attempt the assignment at all of course they received a "0". This became their HOMEWORK grade and was usually 40% of their TOTAL GRADE for the class. Texts and any Quizzes made up the other 60%.

With my homeschool students I give them the option to do the 40/60 split or to just average the test grades for a final grade.