Menu

need your help....Math related

ProudGrandma

We have had a really hard time with finding a math curriculum that would work with my daughter (age 14).  We finally found Rod and Staff and love it.  But because it took us so long to find this...we are about a year behind....she will finish the 7th grade book this year...and she is going into 9th grade next year.  This is my problem.

I feel like she should do the 8th grade R & S next year....becasue she is no way ready for Algebra 1...but if we work really hard this summer, we might be able to be ready for algebra early on in her 9th grade year.  BUT, where can I find an algebra book that is like Rod and Staff....becasue their 9th grade book is all bookkeeping type stuff....great for business, but not 9th grade Algebra.

Do you know of any algebra programs that might work??

thanks.

If at all possible I'd get her input on the algebra programs as well.

I would not focus specifically on accelerating, but I *would* work year-round without a break just to increase retention. If you do this, it is entirely possible to do 4 years of math in 3 years.

One algebra program you might look at is Algebra 1: A Fresh Approach.

As soon as she finishes chapter 7 in R&S 7, move her to pre-algebra; there is no material after that chapter that isn't in a pre-algebra course (except for biblical measures, lol), and a pre-algebra course will more quickly prepare her for algebra than trying to rush through a book and a half of R&S. A good pre-algebra text that is very similar in layout to R&S is Dolciani Prealgebra: An Accelerated Course. That will have her prepared for algebra by next fall. As far as algebra programs, you might want to have your daughter look at previews of various math textbooks on a website like Rainbow Resource.

we are actually in chapter 10 right now...about 3 lessons left.  So you are saying I should skip the pre-algebra chapter and find her a pre-algebra book instead? 

is this the one you are thinking of?? http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X

does it come with an answer key?  or a teacher's guide?  is there a better place to pick this up? 

Looking for other options too..

we are actually in chapter 10 right now...about 3 lessons left.  So you are saying I should skip the pre-algebra chapter and find her a pre-algebra book instead? 

That is what I did with my daughter. The introductory pre-algebra material in R&S 7 is quite basic; a pre-algebra course is much more in-depth.

is this the one you are thinking of?? http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Algebra-An-Accelerated-Course-Dolciani/dp/039543050X

That is the exact edition I have.

does it come with an answer key?  or a teacher's guide?  is there a better place to pick this up? 

I do not have a teacher's guide, but the book contains the answers to the odd problems in the back. The instructions within the lessons are very easy to follow, so it is easy to teach without a teacher's guide.

Looking for other options too..

Here is a page with a bunch of pre-algebra recommendations.