Menu

Plagiarism Checkers

Which ones do you recommend? Now that DD is doing more research based papers, it seems like a good idea. Not that she would intentionally plagiarize! It's that I can no longer read her papers and know for certain that she didn't forget a citation somewhere.

(I guess that's a sign that her writing is improving!  There used to be no doubt the writing was that of a middle school student! :tongue_smilie: )

I use grammarly for my online college classes, it checks spelling, grammar and for plagiarism and you can print off a report from it to prove you do not have any plagiarism.  It is a requirement of all papers I submit, that we include evidence that we used grammarly to check our work.

The checker that most professors I know is turnitin.com.   Be aware if you do have your child's paper checked by turnitin, the child's paper becomes part of the database that future papers are checked against. 

Hmm....is this the case with all the checkers? What if she uses part of her paper for a class later on? Will it show up as being plagiarized?

Hmm....is this the case with all the checkers? What if she uses part of her paper for a class later on? Will it show up as being plagiarized?

I do not know for sure, but it is a possibility.  What this system is doing is building up a bigger and bigger database of material to check against.  I do not know if there is any way to tell that it is the same student using their own work.