Menu

Color Code or Penguins on Ice or The Shell Game?

8filltheheart

We have Color Code and Penguins on Ice.  I've never heard of the Shell Game.  I just watched a youtube video on it.  It looks cute...I'll be adding that now to our list of things to get.   :001_smile:  If you haven't already checked youtube, you can usually find video reviews on all of these types of games...and some at the website too.

My daughter likes both Color Code and Penguins.  She blew through a ton of Color Code cards the first day we got it though.  I don't know if that game will last overly long.  I guess the same could be said about any of these.  But...they are fun games.  I think the penguins one is really cute.  Some of the ice pieces you can shift (slide a piece to make a different shape).  It gets challenging fast. 

I have a review of Color Code on my blog (link is in my signature).  If you don't want to scroll through everything, just click on March on the right side.  

If you can...I'd say get all three!! 

Like BatmansWife, we have Penguins on Ice and Color Code. Penguins on Ice was one of the first games of this type that really challenged Alex and kept her attention, largely I think because of the way the plastic ice pieces slide to change shape-buy the penguin is affixed to really add an additional level of difficulty. And it does get challenging quickly! Some of the more difficult puzzles *I* had to work through:)

Color Code she got more recently (as in 3 days ago for her bday!) but it has already gotten a lot of play. It really is awesome for visual perception. Hubby played it with her on Friday evening and mentioned how impressed he was at the multi-level skills. He is an inorganic chemist, so I think he dreams in symmetry, rotations, flips and inversions, lol, and he said he wishes he could start the semester with a whole week devoted just to games like this to train his students to think in terms of spatial and visual manipulation:)

Thanks for that review.   It does sound like these will be a good fit for her.  I think Color Code is actually going to be difficult for her.   I'm getting these for her 5th birthday.   She can do the more complex patterns for Castle Logix, but it really doesn't hold her attention for more than a few minutes.   It is not a favorite for her.   I think the penguins will appeal to her and she is fascinated with colors and shapes. 

Thanks for that review. It does sound like these will be a good fit for her. I think Color Code is actually going to be difficult for her. I'm getting these for her 5th birthday. She can do the more complex patterns for Castle Logix, but it really doesn't hold her attention for more than a few minutes. It is not a favorite for her. I think the penguins will appeal to her and she is fascinated with colors and shapes.

Color Code was a present for Alex's 5th birthday too. And yes, it is decidedly more challenging than something like Castle Logix:) It also had a lot more room to grow. Some challenges that might actually take more than 2 minutes, KWIM?

Alex also loves colors, shapes, and especially patterns. If that is the case and you go with just one, Color Code is it! We got Penguins on Ice because dd is in love with all things oceanic:)

You might also take a look at a travel-size one called IQ Twist. Maybe a stocking stuffer for Christmas? It is similiar in idea to Penguins on Ice, but colors and shapes to makes them fit in little holes. We keep it in the car, along with a magnetic set of Mighty Minds.