Menu

Strayer-Upton Math: How to Schedule It.

Hunter

I have a new appreciation and understanding of Strayer-Upton Arithmetic after studying the very similar Wentworth's School Arithmetics and other vintage maths of the period and before.

Links to the free Wentworth eBooks are here.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/534083-free-strayer-upton-like-math-curriculum-complete-3-book-series-with-answers/?p=6034033

Back to Strayer-Upton.

Book One is for grades 3 and 4.

Ch. 1 is a concise review of Grade 2.

Ch. 2 is for grade 3 first half.

Ch. 3 is for grade 3 second half.

Ch. 4 is for grade 4 first half.

Ch. 5 is for grade 4 second half.

Book Two is for grades 5 and 6, but many schools would have delayed percents until Grade 7, or fell "behind" even earlier than that.

Ch. 1 is for grade 5 first half

Ch. 2 is for grade 5 second half

Ch. 3 is for grade 6 first half

Ch. 4 is for grade 6 second half.

Book 3 is for grades 7 and 8, but many schools would have still been finishing up Book 2 for grade 7, especially if they delayed percents until 7th grade. Book 3 is mini chapters instead of large chapters. Schools would have had very individual ideas about which chapters to complete and skip.

About half of Book 3 is business math. Current practice is to delay business math until high school and it is considered an elective course. The non-business chapters look like they can be completed in a year and serve as a pre-algebra course.

To get the small chunky books to lay open, secure a chunk of pages together with a binder clip.

http://diply.com/omg-facts/33-life-changing-ways-use-binder-clips/30934

b7f1495a-3b71-4e61-af58-f172dd4e78ca.jpg

With our Strayer-Upton math years, I would put the problems up on the chalk or dry erase board for DD to copy down and work, or else make handwritten worksheets for her based on the problem sets.

The progression was very easy to tailor to my DD's pace, and it's easy to assign just even or just odd problems if it looks like there are more than you want to use in a lesson.

My favorite part of it was how simple games were built in that didn't require much in the way of props except maybe some note cards (games like playing store, or various games to be played off of something drawn on the board). I always spent time on those. And working with money from early on was a very concrete way of using a manipulative that was readily at hand (you can get play money at the dollar store), and that my very particular "I don't like manipulatives" child would accept because she saw the use of it from very early on.

She understood dollars and sense just fine in third grade, which made the introduction of decimals for other purposes later on MUCH MUCH easier.

I would not excise the "business math" when using this type of curriculum at all. It's practical and useful stuff you're going to need whether your future is college or flipping burgers until you're 60.

I would not excise the "business math" when using this type of curriculum at all. It's practical and useful stuff you're going to need whether your future is college or flipping burgers until you're 60.

Some of the business math is outdated and I find a lot of moms have a REALLY hard time knowing what to do with it. Looking through the business math chapters can so overwhelm a mom that she tosses out the whole set, fearing she won't be up to finishing the set.

An option that makes the set more equivalent to a modern curricula is to disregard the business math entirely instead of getting lost in it, ESPECIALLY if the mom is intending to otherwise purchase a modern curricula that doesn't include business math.

Business math is important, I agree, but it's no longer part of most public school junior high scope and sequences. When I tackle business math, I do it from a different mind set than I do the math that needs to be covered to satisfy a school board or test well.

I like to cover the business math topics, ONE topic at a time, as unit studies. I totally crash and burn using the business math chapters of any of the vintage books during REGULAR math time. 

For an inexpensive modern treatment of business math, older editions of Aufmann Basic College Mathematics are sometimes available for pennies. Half the answers are in the back, and it's usually enough.

This is a sample of the business math chapter of a newer expensive edition, but you can get the idea.

http://books.google.com/books?id=JgKlDqnlvswC&pg=PA233&dq=aufmann+basic+college+math+%22applications+for+business%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=G3J_VNuMMouVyATGroGAAw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=aufmann%20basic%20college%20math%20%22applications%20for%20business%22&f=false