Menu

Busy and practical work for PreK - need more!

RosieCotton

My little girl is always wanting to do more school than I have for her. She turns 5 this month.

She likes workbooks. She did the MCP Phonics K book last year in a month. The A book we have has a bit too much writing in it for her. She can read it, and give the answers, but needs more time to get her letters going in proper formation. MCP is not my first choice, it's just what we had lots of and got for free. Maybe a ZB writing book is a good place to start.

She loves to color, and count things up to about 50. She is reading CVC's and CVCC's well, and we are moving into the vowel pairs, and consonant digraphs now.

I've grabbed a few things off blogs for her, but she goes thru them so quickly. All I'm doing is searching and printing!

I need a few good workbook suggestions please. Math, reading preferred. Open to anything!

I'm thinking about grabbing her a few things I saw in the RR catalog. And maybe some of the PreK books from Rod and Staff for coloring. I'm not sure. Is there a lot of writing in Explode the Code?

I saw a thread about PreK gifts so I'm going to check that to see what we may not have yet. She loves the magnetic tiles picture maker and puzzles and has a bunch of other things like that we rotate. She spent an hour yesterday making the large Melissa Doug floor puzzle Africa.

She loves workbooks and is always checking her drawers for more work. Adorable.

The Kumon fine motor skill books are great and build skills in a fun, progressive way. My daughter also liked the BrainQuest workbooks we found in Barnes and Noble.

GeoPuzzles are a challenge for my 4yo, but they're great. There are some games that can keep her busy for a while - Kanoodle, MightyMind, Rush Hour Jr, and Pathwords Jr are all independent.

There are some writing pages in Explode the Code, but mostly it is circling, crossing out and drawing lines to match things.

My 5 year old is almost done with EtC Book 4, and he does not do any of the writing.  I think he is still getting a ton out of it.

For math, I like Singapore Essentials and some of the ebooks from Scholastic.  These two were big hits:

Great Graph Art to Build Early Math Skills

Interactive Math Picture Pages With Activities

I got them both during the Scholastic Dollar Days, so the next time that comes up you might want to look through.

Wendy

My dad just turned 4, so a year younger than yours...

Loads of craft supplies-pom poms, pipe cleaners, stickers, flat, tons of paper, glass beads, paint, Popsicle sticks, clay, play doh, fabric, sand, scissors, glue lots of glue, glitter, wood, ribbon, yarn, ect. No set crafts, just open ended creating. This alone gives opportunity for fine motor skills, finger and hand strength, patterns, problem solving, patience....

Kumon cut and glue books are fun, also the simple maze ones.

She watches YouTube videos of picture books read aloud while we drive her sisters to gymnastics. It's simply a narrator turning the pages of the book, so very simple and calm.

Look and find books are a hit.

As for workbooks, I have a ton from various sources. I don't have a preference other than what is most appealing to her. She isn't required to do anything, but will often choose to. There are fun things to print online, we've done a themed packs-gymnastics, Aesop, and winter. They have everything from simple picture addition to tracing letters to matching games with simple sight words to cutting on zig zag lines...it keeps her busy for a while.

Hope that helps!

Donna Young handwriting readiness and beginning manuscript free printables. http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/redines.htm

Donna Young drawing 1A for Younger Children-if she's ready for it http://donnayoung.org/art/draw1-younger.htm

MEP Reception- free printable, does require some direct instruction  http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/#reception

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Very parent lead, face to face, fun way for little ones to learn phonics through poetry and games.