Menu

What are you using...

I spend a lot of time talking to my oldest about what makes good character...trying your hardest, being a good friend, being truthful even when it means you're going to get into trouble...that kind of thing. It is just an everyday part of our interactions as parent/child. I also point out good character when I see it in her or others and in our reading (like in all of the Little House books!) I believe the most important aspect of character education is my (and my husband's) example...we try to remember that too (but sometimes fall short!)

I don't use a separate curriculum, although there are a few character study pages in Lively Latin. We also talk about character issues in the context of our reading.

But to me, character is really forged in two ways: by imitating good models (including literary, historical, and religious ones) and by working through real-life challenges. I find a lot of the character training curricula I've seen pretty hokey and forced, honestly. I'd rather use teachable moments as they arise in our studies and in our lives.