Menu

Does anyone do school three months on

mamapjama

Yes, I would love it--but the kids?

I was doing six weeks on/one off...but we never seemed to "hit stride" until about six weeks into it--and the week "off" would become, well, let's not go there, shall we? :001_huh:

So, right now I'm planning on nine weeks--our "week off" corresponds to my dh's week off, so we'll see what happens. I don't entirely want to let them "loose"--but maybe doing a project like the Time Traveler's Explorers lapbook might be a good idea.

and one off and mentioned in WTM?

Just wondering as it sounds beneficial to me. Though December is such a great month for teaching/learning that I would continue with a more informal schedule or else use January as our month off.

I was just playing around with my yearly schedule today, and came up with something sort of like this. We've been doing 6 on/2 off, with 3 off at Christmas and 5 off in June-into-July. I'd rather have more time off in August to correspond with dh's low-work time, so I figured out 4 weeks August-into-September, 3 weeks in December, and 3 weeks somewhere in April, and between these bigger chunks are 6 weeks on/2 weeks off. We'll see how it works out. It means I only have two weeks off in June before beginning a new year, but I always find in the past I spend the 5 June/July off weeks doing too much: finishing school, reporting on the year to the DOE, planning and scheduling the new year, and planning and executing a long-distance vacation. I figure August is better for our vacation time in many ways, so I tweaked it around. I'm hoping the two weeks in June to just do reporting, and have already finished planning the new year before that. We shall see! But I definitely love scheduling year round.

It sounded appealing to us, and so we tried this last year. Our first break was at Christmas, the month of December. Well, it was hard to start up again, then other things came up, and so we had to finish our materials over the WHOLE summer. Ugh. I have decided we just need to work pretty much continuously, taking a break for a day or two or whatever when the need arises. I really would have liked more time off this summer. So, for us, lovely as this seemed, it hasn't been successful here.

Anita