Menu

Science help

We have been using BJU science and loving it. Recently, dd has started to complain about some of the religious aspects in the textbook. We are using the Space and Earth book. I read some of what she was complaining about, and I can go either way with the material. It is really easy enough to just ignore. The problem is that I see it turning her off to science. Science was always one of her favorite subjects, not she is putting it off until the end of the day.

What would you all recommend for science 8 grade and above. I need something that is easy to implement. She has always loved science and it has been one of her strongest subjects. She has always loved the lab work and now is just not caring so much. I need something to help put the spark back into her love of science.

Thanks

Lynda:confused:

We have been using BJU science and loving it. Recently, dd has started to complain about some of the religious aspects in the textbook. We are using the Space and Earth book. I read some of what she was complaining about, and I can go either way with the material. It is really easy enough to just ignore. The problem is that I see it turning her off to science. Science was always one of her favorite subjects, not she is putting it off until the end of the day.

What would you all recommend for science 8 grade and above. I need something that is easy to implement. She has always loved science and it has been one of her strongest subjects. She has always loved the lab work and now is just not caring so much. I need something to help put the spark back into her love of science.

Thanks

Lynda:confused:

I would use the Prentice Hall Science Explorer Series-Earth Science. Our co-op used it last year and it was a hit!

Our high school students are using PH Biology this year. So far, the instructor (dh) is very pleased with the text.

Holly

Maybe use 'real' books from the library - and lots of 'em. Use the text as more of a springboard from which to choose topics she's interested in and then take her to the library and help her find really interesting books on the topic. Make it clear to her that she doesn't have to read every word in every book. That way you can use adult-level books, too. Show her how to 'research' the books on the topic and then write up a summary of some of the things she's learned. Suggest she draw pictures to illustrate anything she wants.

I could not agree more. You can learn more from a book about a subject than a textbook any day.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to look at the prentice hall science books online today. Did you just purchase them from the publisher and were you able to get the teacher's guide or is it not necessary?

Also as in using real books or a living books approach. Does anyone know if there is already a pre-put together list for courses? I am not a science person so much, that is why we were using a textbook. All of our other courses are book based. I don't even have spins for most of them. Science was just the one area that I struggle with simply because I hate it and I don't understand it. That is why I loved BJU because it was easy for me. Dh does help with science but he does not always have the time to devote to it. Do you know if there is a preset book list or lesson plans that one could buy or that is offered for free. Something that says read these books for biology, etc. I could add or take away from there.

thank you

lynda