Menu

Do you love your crockpot?

Amira

I can't believe I'm asking this here, given the crockpot's penchant for causing trouble, but my old crockpot died (appliance death seems to be a theme this year in my house) and I need a new one.  I probably had a lead-filled health hazard before, but it's been 17 years since I bought a crockpot and I have no idea what's out there. I've never had a stainless steel slow cooker, but that seems to be what's available.  I hear new crockpots are a lot hotter than the old ones.  Is there a way around that? I don't need a timer or anything special.  Just on or off with a couple of temperature settings. I mostly use it for cooking whole chickens, making appleauce or dulce de leche, heating milk for yogurt, cooking beans to freeze, and that kind of thing.  I don't cook dinner in it.

What should I buy?

I debated and debated, but ultimately, I go to so many potlucks that I knew I needed one that snapped shut, so I went with a very basic (no timer) crockpot that seals shut.  So far so good, but it is cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, I can move on.

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPVL600S-6-Quart-Portable-Stainless/dp/B003HF6PUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1415119871&sr=1-1&keywords=crockpot

I have something in it right now! 

I love and adore my vitaclay.  http://vitaclaychef.com/

I have hated every crock pot I ever owned.  My kids would never eat anything I cooked in it.  I would always burn something or it would be dried out. Or just eh tasting.  I ended up using my crockpot for overnight cooking of chicken stock and for soaking and cooking beans.

The vitaclay looks lovely!  But it looks like the largest one is only 4 quarts.  Can you fit a whole chicken in it, do you think?

My main priority for a crockpot was that it was 220V, since I knew I'd be using it outside the U.S. Mine is a Crock Pot brand. I'm not certain of the model number, but it's 220, it's big, and the timer feature is pretty nice--I can't set it to turn on automatically, but I can set it to go to a "keep warm" setting after a set amount of time, which is a particularly useful feature for me. It's also easy to clean, but it would not work well for transporting dishes to potlucks.

I think it's probably this one: http://www.crockpoteurope.com/Product.aspx?cid=1787&pid=8816

The vitaclay looks lovely! But it looks like the largest one is only 4 quarts. Can you fit a whole chicken in it, do you think?

I have the 6 cup and that definitely will not fit a whole cut up chicken. The 4qt one may fit a small chicken. I have done chicken wings in mine. I usually don't do chicken in there because everyone here prefers roasted or grilled.