Menu

Constant Vigilance (allergy content)

heartosunshine

I'm having an allergic reaction, I feel horrible, and it's my own fault. (It's not anaphylaxis so I'm not in danger. Symptoms are congestion, migraine, nausea, general malaise.)

Back story: I'm on medication for something else and have been taking it for years. My mail order pharmacy changed manufacturers so now there's corn starch. I have a corn allergy. I took this medication for a week! I thought I was coming down with a cold because those were the symptoms initially and my son is mildly sick with a cold. Every day, the symptoms got worse. This morning I woke up thinking I must have a sinus infection but then I started wondering about this medication. Looked it up, called the pharmacy and sure enough, that's what it is. Why did I not think of this a week ago?! Ugh.

I'm fortunate that my allergy hasn't put me in the hospital but there are so many people out there who live with this danger every day. If you have allergies or are caring for someone who has does, how do you constantly stay vigilant?

This drives me crazy too. 

I had a favorite cookie made by a gluten-free company in town.  Checked the ingredients carefully the first time I ate it, but after that, expected I should be able to go into the bakery and get the cookie.  WELL, they changed the recipe--added eggs.  SCOWL.  I HATE it that I can't trust them to leave the recipe alone!!!  And it's a good thing they didn't go to almond flour or something--that could have killed me.  Eggs, I just lost the day.  SCOWL.  

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a dear friend who is allergic to, gosh, just about everything, bless her heart. She is deathly allergic to dairy and tropical oils (palm oil, coconut oil, any tropical fruit such as kiwi or pineapple), corn gives her grief. and she's almost worst-case-scenario celiac. She has to watch her meds all.the.time, because manufacturers will change the ingredients in the coating, or in the carrier or filler. She once had a mild stroke because the manufacturer had changed the ingredients to include dry milk powder in a drug she had been taking for years. o_0

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I have a dear friend who is allergic to, gosh, just about everything, bless her heart. She is deathly allergic to dairy and tropical oils (palm oil, coconut oil, any tropical fruit such as kiwi or pineapple), corn gives her grief. and she's almost worst-case-scenario celiac. She has to watch her meds all.the.time, because manufacturers will change the ingredients in the coating, or in the carrier or filler. She once had a mild stroke because the manufacturer had changed the ingredients to include dry milk powder in a drug she had been taking for years. o_0

Oh my goodness.