Menu

Independent programs for 8yo

I need some help thinking this out.  Until now I've had both DD8.5yo and DD7yo do most everything together, except for some math.  Now I'm not so sure this is the most effective use of time for us.  ODD is very motivated to finish up her work, is okay being independent - she's good at it, but does like my attention, etc.  I would prefer to give her attention outside of school time though.  DD7yo is a fluttery, distractible young girl.  She CAN do things on her own...but she needs to be refocused and redirected so often, that "independent" work (handwriting, math practice) isn't really independent yet.  I know this is normal.  

I guess what I'm wondering is...

• Is it okay to mostly do an "intro" and let her go for most things?  Copywork, spelling, grammar, and I'm going to start giving her some assigned reading.  Even math, we do a lesson the afternoon before and she completes her WB pages on her own in the morning.
  •  
  • What programs are conducive to this?  I don't want to change much, but we're not sure what we'll move to for grammar and spelling....maybe R&S.  We've been "light" on these subjects thus far, but she seems to be a natural in LA.
  •  
  • What kinds of school things do your 8yos do "independently"?

Wow, I can't believe the mommy-guilt I'm feeling over letting go of doing all subjects with her.  Next year I'm going to want to do more with DD3yo (she's very precocious) and DS will be 6 then.  And of course we have the baby. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

My 8yo is working very independently these days - I see you're using SM for math so I won't suggest CLE but it is very independent. I will however suggest it for LA - esp Grammar. I have always used it only for grammar and penmanship. My dc do the exercises with the spelling words but do not do the tests. The CLE spelling is a bit lite for my strong speller and the writing does not have enough instruction imo. That said, CLE grammar is very thorough and very independent. 

We're using VP self paced history - which is fantastic and includes some assigned reading.

Just starting (day 2) Lively Latin - which looks like it will be a big hit and is very independent.

BJU science with the DVD instruction 

My dd is doing sequential spelling - which is almost entirely independent (we have the CD ROM)

MP Lit guides are fairly independent 

and I looked at CAP Fable and thought it would be a more independent/ creative version of WWE. I think the mini lessons are shorter and the excerpts are more readable for a student. Also the format is more accessible and the final writing assignments allow for more creativity and a venue to teach the "writing process."

We also use TT as a supplement and that's both fun and independent.

RS4K science could be about 60-70% indepndent -You still have experiments.

I've noticed that my DS works much better on his own - esp if it means he doesn't have to share a curriculum or a lesson w/ his sister :glare:. Any way - cutting him loose a bit has really increases his productivity and his interest level.

My DS8 does the following independently-

MathUSee and Kumon workbooks

Cursive

Veritas Press self paced history

CC supplemental worksheets

Independent reading

Some of his language arts (copy work, etc)

He needs me to get him started on any writing and we do Bible, History and Science Readalouds as a family, and AAS together.

He has been so attached to me and high need all

his life that once he started to show the desire (and ability!) to work independently, I let the guilt go! :)