Menu

Need a children's book rec about why we have a 24 hour day and 365 day year

momee

Genesis chapters 1 and 2 of the Bible outline it very clearly.  (Chapter 2 is not a separate event; it's expounding chapter 1 in more detail.)  Science (astronomy) confirms the events of Genesis 1 and 2.... IOW, there are no contradictions.  Unless of course you believe that once upon a time the days were much longer than 24 hours, and that the sun, moon, and stars have nothing to do with the 24-hour day OR the changing of the seasons that occur at the same time every 365-day year. ;)  Every climate around the world has its own "season" which occurs at the same time every year.

There are some really good ones, but one of my favorites is part of the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out-About-Science series.

It is called Sunshine Makes the Seasons, has great pictures, and even a model the kids can demo with a pencil, a flashlight, and an orange:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0060592052?pc_redir=1413605758&robot_redir=1

ETA: the Gail Gibbons book Reason for the Seasons is also fantastic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0823412385/ref=pd_aw_sims_5?pi=SL500_SR114%2C115&refRID=069CWNZG35DB1RF5QPXC

Many of the free vintage geography textbooks cover this quite nicely, even if they contain other outdated material.

"Home geography" and "Primary Geography" can be used about grades 2-4. "Elementary geography" and "Complete Geography" for about grades 5-10.

I just skip the parts I don't want to use. As for the "5 races of men" and "savage" stuff, I go over that once about middle school level, because that was taught to ALL children and it's necessary for students to understand the vocabulary used in literature written during that period.