Menu

Opinions on Videotext Algebra?

Guest mbatts

Guest mbatts

I am looking for an Algebra 1 course for my ninth grader. He does well in math and I want to keep it that way. I was looking at Videotext and wanted to know the pros and cons of using it. Thanks, Mary

I'm sorry you didn't get any replies to your message. This has been discussed a lot lately--maybe that's why. Try using the search feature and searching for both VideoText (one word) and "video text" (two words, using quotations). It's also helpful to use the advanced search and search only the heading, rather than the body of the post. Hope that helps.

I found VideoText to be a great program & used it with 3 teens. However, one did not do well with it, & I switched her to TT for Alg 2. She needed a simpler format. I assume you know that VideoText teaches the concepts of Alg 1 & 2 as one course. We simply called 1 yr Alg 1 & the 2nd yr Alg 2. One of the pros of this course is that you can actually complete it in a yr or a little more if you're pressed for time & you have a highly motivated student. Another pro is the built-in review of concepts; daily quizzes assure that your kids are "getting it." Finally, you won't hear your kids groan about an excessive amt of problem sets (such as with Saxon). The drawback of VideoText: it's pricey! You can find good deals on used sets though.

You might also search by my user name. I'm in a hurry this morning or I'd reply directly to your post. I'll check back later today so if you have any specific questions I'd be glad to give more details. --Martha

Guest mbatts

I am new on this site and was a little discouraged that I was not going to receive any responses. I have two more questions: 1) Has any one had a student use Videotext and done well with the SAT? 2) Does anyone have a child that has gone on to college and done well in math using this Videotext? Thanks, Mary

I used all the modules for Algebra I and II with my older son, over the course of two years. He worked through them with relative ease. Whenever he felt unsure, my husband went over things with him. Last year, he returned to a private school. He took Geometry and made an A in it for the year. He is now in Trig/Pre-calc and so far, so good. So their programming seems to have served him well.