Menu

taking the leap mid-year....how does this look?

I posted a while back for advice about my 3rd and 5th graders. Things in public school have continued to deteriorate - especially for the 3rd grader. I wasn't clear before but I homeschooled both kiddos until the beginning of 2nd and 4th grade respectively when our life rather fell apart. So they've been in school for a full year and a bit now. Somehow I am much more nervous pulling them out and attempting to do 3rd and 5th grade with them. A week from Monday will be their last day. And part of my nerves is that I am in an accelerated BSN program and my husband is working as well. He is often home though. They will have to come to class with me 2 days a week though for a couple of hours.

So here's what I am thinking with our busy crazy schedule to hit the high points.

Singapore Math for both girls at whatever level the assessments on the website put them in

Beast Academy 3A for both to work on together

IEW's SWI-A for both girls (different expectations though)

Self generated spelling lists 

Assigned reading with written summaries

Journalling

This is through January to just get us going. I am thinking we will add Latin and history and science in then after we have our feet under us a bit. What thinks the Hive? I need advice and some support because I am freaking out. I am so sure it's right though. The things that have been happening are just flat out ridiculous. 

Do you need two math programs? I would just go with SM and do some history or science instead of two math programs. RS4K science is easy for a busy schedule. The halter a are quick reads and full of good info. I plan one book a semester. That gives me lots of extra time. One chapter and one experiment a week are easy and if we miss a week, no big deal.

We have a busty schedule too. I work evenings and the kids come with me some. For my 4th grader, I teach him his lessons and we save the written practice for while he sits at the studio with me. He keeps busy and has more play time at home.

When you are ready to add history, get SOTW on cd (or something else on cd) and listen while in the car. Then you can discuss and add extra reading as needed.

Congratulations!

I would dump the journaling and the written summaries (keep the reading) until you get a routine going.  IEW is lots of writing.  Once you feel like you are all ready for more, then add in some history and science and let them do summaries of those.  When the schedules are hectic, it's hard to fit in the "fun stuff", but I have found that our days always go smoother if we mix things up a bit.

I agree with the PP to just do one math program. You're going to need to streamline as much as possible if you're in an accelerated BSN program.  My hat is off to you b/c that's a big undertaking! I think you can do it. Just don't set yourself to do it like you were before you went back to school.  This is a different season and you need to make sure that your expectations will help everyone be successful and not frustrated. I think I would trade out a 2nd math program for science or history.  If they are sitting in class, they could do an online history program (Veritas Press) with earphones or you could read all self-study a lot of history through biographies and books. 

Lisa