Menu

Looking for resources to learn about Karl Marx...

My apologies if this is (politically) inappropriate.

Post-Glasnost philosophy (from my Russian friends):

"Everything Marx told us about Communism was a lie.  Everything Marx told us about Capitalism was the truth."

I'm happy to share your post with the girls. :)

This month we're studying his speech The Dictatorship of the Proletariat, and I just need a few things to add to it. I'm expecting a lot of conversation in the house.

Marzi: A Memoir

From the Amazon blurb:
“I am Marzi, born in 1979, ten years before the end of communism in Poland. My father works at a factory, my mother at a dairy. Social problems are at their height. Empty stores are our daily bread.I’m scared of spiders and the world of adults doesn’t seem like a walk in the park.â€

Told from a young girl’s perspective, Marzena Sowa’s memoir of a childhood shaped by politics feels remarkably fresh and immediate. Structured as a series of vignettes that build on one another, MARZI is a compelling and powerful coming-of-age story that portrays the harsh realities of life behind the Iron Curtain while maintaining the everyday wonders and curiosity of childhood. With open and engaging art by Sylvain Savoia, MARZI is a moving and resonant story of an ordinary girl in turbulent, changing times.

Duckens' review:
This would be an easy read for the OP's daughters.  Some of it is not relevant.  Since it is from the POV of a child, the beginning of the book discusses childhood games like pushing elevator buttons and such.  For those of us who know the whole story, we see the big picture of the daily standing in lines, the black market, rationed gas, and Chernobyl.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wall  by Peter Sis

Another Graphic Novel of living in Communism.  An easy read for the OP's children.

Thanks everyone! I'm here with my coffee going through everything. This is just for speech study, not history, so I can't spend too much time on the subject. I do what I can as far as in class time, but I also like supplying books for possible independent reading, thumbing through, or at the very, very least, exposure to "hey, this is an important book, now you know it exists and about the basic concept, make it happen!" I also no problem putting a copy of The Communist Manifesto next to the toilet...  :tongue_smilie:  You never know how or where the curiosity begins!

We're on our second year of doing speech study. Here's an old thread which lists last year's choices: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/476692-id-like-to-find-10-famous-speeches-to-study-next-year-any-suggestion-update-i-have-one-more-question/

This year we're doing:

“Recantation of Galileo†by Galileo Galilei

“His Soul Goes Marching On†by John Brown

“The Dictatorship of the Proletariat†by Karl Marx

“Friends, Romans…â€

“In the Name of God, Go†by Oliver Cromwell

"On Women's Righ to Vote" by Susan B Anthony

“My Patience is at an End†by Adolf Hitler

“Scorched Earth†by Joseph Stalin

“A Day That Will Live in Infamy†by Franklin D Roosevelt

“An Ideal For Which I am Prepared to Die†by Nelson Mandela

I use monthly boxes which holds a new poem, new speech, supplemental reading, art studies, and a new Martha Stewart Magazine (for Home Ec), and a few other things. We find it a little exciting to open each new box. :)

Speech study is supplemented with links online, documentaries, movies, political satire, Q&A, discussion, all kinds of stuff...

Marrin has a great bio of Stalin that is pertinent to the overall topic.

Reds is a good movie about the communist movement in its early stages through the Russian revolution.

I love Reds! It's been a long time since I've watched it. Lucky me, it's free on Netflix right now. They have it rated at PG, but IMDB has it as R... hmmm... 

I'll give it a pre watch. :) I like to add in a regular movie here and there. It keeps it fun. Last year we watched Pride of the Yankees.  :wacko: