Menu

Book: Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses

MarkT

I haven't read it. I did read the preface on Amazon, and a few reviews. 

I don't know that I would take the time to read the entire book, mostly because I don't think it would come as any great surprise to most WTM posters that it is possible to graduate from college, even with a good GPA, without challenging yourself or truly improving your critical thinking skills. 

The reasons for this (which he outlines in the preface) are pretty straightforward and common knowledge as well: grade inflation, too much weight given to student reviews, students carefully selecting classes based on a reputation for good grades with little work, etc. 

Side note: he talks about students being academically adrift when they enter college (not having a solid idea of occupations and how to reach the goal of becoming x/y/z) but I myself don't regard that as a huge negative. It's fairly normal, imo, and developmentally appropriate for 17/18 yr olds. Not changing that during college is the problem, imo.