Menu

Sassafras Science update: typos fixed in 2 weeks

She Reads a Lot

I've been looking into science for next year and came across Sassafras Science last night. Was excited until I saw the reviews here about the many typos. I am an editor. I despise typos. So I e-mailed the authors to ask if they were working on this and guess what? They are!

Here is the reply I received this morning (I asked if I could share this, he said yes, and because the guy was really nice, I am not making snarky comments about the lack of commas in his e-mail):

"We have hired a new editor and had them go through the book again and make the necessary corrections. Also we have had several customers look over the book and give us feedback on the issues and all have been pleased. We have updated the file with our printer and the corrected version will be available in 2 weeks."

Hope this is helpful! I think we'll use volumes 1 and 3 next year for science. One thing crossed off my planning list. Yay!

Christina

Color me dubious. After I mentioned the terrible typos on my blog, they contacted me and asked for specific examples. I gave them a few. They said gosh, they'd get on that and be fixing them soon. But everyone I spoke to said the edition had not changed and the typos had not been cleaned up. And that, furthermore, there were also plenty of typos in the newer books. Basically, they've known this was an issue for awhile and not fixed it. I hope they *are* finally getting it fixed. It's a good idea for a curriculum, even if I didn't think it quite hit in execution, but the typos were just downright embarrassing.

We had a goofy thing happen last week. I assigned them the chapter that was listed in the teacher's guide. It had a different title in the actual book. So the kids were calling me at work to tell me that the chapter I assigned wasn't in the book. They did figure out what they were supposed to read.