Menu

I need a new iron - looking for recommendations

Swimtaxi234

I have gone thru many many irons in my 39 years of marriage.  I am a seamstress, plus I iron my DH shirts.  All of them. 

I did fall in love with Rowenta irons for a while,but they were expensive and they started to leak after a while.

I currently am using Sunbeam Turbo irons that I picked up at Costco for under 25.00 on sale.  I believe it has 1700 watts and it is really the best iron I have had in years.

The first one died after about 18 months and Costco replaced it.  I am good with that.

Do you have a retractable cord?  Do you like it?  Is it worth it?

I read this comment on Amazon:  "The only negative is that it retracts so forcefully that it will wack your hand if you do not protect it somehow. I use the edge of the ironing board as a shield."   :scared: 

Yikes! I do not have a retractable cord.  I think I would like it, as I always worry about the cord hanging down and being a trip hazard, so I am very careful when I put it up and out of the way.

I have a 12 year old Rowenta that I love. I haven't had any issues with it leaking, but I don't use it a lot. I mostly just use it when quilting. Whenever I pull it out, though, I am thankful I have it!

I have serious iron-envy over my friend's and my sister's Shark irons.  

They're light.  They iron quite well.  Nothing is sticking to the bottom.  I really need to get one.

I wonder if the first poster who has problems with hers has a lemon?  It may be a commonly reported issue....I don't know.  I haven't researched.  I do know it isn't something my sister or friend experience.