Menu

World War II curriculum

Cicero History has a unit on WWII. You used to be able to get one free unit, not sure if they still offer that. However, it's only designed to last 30 days. I haven't looked since they've updated in the last few years.  

We're doing an indepth focus on WWII this year and plan on watching a lot of movies (dependent upon what is available on Amazon and Netflix). We're using On the Origins of War  for the sections on WWI and WWII. We're also reading through the book The Second World War 

For literature we're doing an audio of The Diary of Anne Frank, reading Night He'll also be reading Farewell to Manzanar. Assignments will be a lot of discussion and a research paper. 

LisaK - Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the TC course, but it was too expensive at that time. 

elegantlion - I'm using the History Channel's World Wars Extended series, DK's World War II Day by Day, lots of movies and literature. We work in discussions at the dinner table, and I assign short essays. Since this is a subject she wanted to pursue, I try to keep it as fun as possible (no  tests).  We live in the DC area, so we will visit the Holocaust Museum and WWII memorial.  I am planning to have her contact our local VFW post to inquire if there are any WWII vets there and if so, interview one. 'llI also have her interview a person who was a child (at least 5 years old) in Europe (or America) during that time.  Her paternal grandmother was in Ireland and her maternal grandmother was in the U.S.at that time, but they both may be too young to remember. 

My daughter has read The Diary of Anne Frank and Night already. She's also read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The Book Thief, and The Devil's Arithmetic. DD is a really compassionate young lady, so she's always felt empathy for what happened during the Holocaust, but reading The Book Thief and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society really set off an interest in learning more.  A book you may consider adding to your list is Hitler's Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow.  It gives a chronological look at the lives of specific (and actual) teens growing up in Germany under the Third Reich.  Another good book is Kristallnacht 1938