Menu

Your theory on assessments - need your input

We have been influenced here by some recent Circe podcasts on the nature of assessing children.  Specifically: Christopher Perrin on the Medieval mentorship/mastery model and a discussion on standardized testing in today's American system.

They certainly have us considering, "what now?"

Besides reading the WTM (again) to be reminded (again) of SWB's recommendations for how to assess, I would like to hear from you all.  How do you assess your children overall?  How is it different from grammar to logic to rhetoric?  How much do you use multiple choice vs. discussion to assess?  Do you feel pressure to teach to a standardized test (either state required or college entrance)?

:lurk5:

https://www.circeinstitute.org/podcast/podcast-christopher-perrins-brief-history-assessment-methods-medieval-times-present

You're using the term assessment, but do you mean within the course of our teaching to determine progress or do you mean standardized testing to determine compliance with the law, satisfactory progress for a spouse, etc.?

We have NEVER needed to teach to the test for standardized testing.  Good curriculum already covers the skills. The more eclectic and ad hoc you are, the more possible it is there will be an issue.  You can buy a simple test prep booklet to run through or just give the test and see where your holes are.

I only administer tests as part of our schooling for diagnostic purposes or to teach her the SKILL of taking a test.  Well-written tests will require synthesis of the material and can point out where a dc's understanding was superficial.  I don't find tests necessary as a constant thing, simply because I KNOW where my kids are at.

You might find this book helpful.

How Do You Know They Know What They Know?: A Handbook of Helps for Grading & Evaluating Student Progress

I think it was republished as

Evaluating for Excellence: A Handbook for Evaluating Student Progress

• 2 weeks later...

In elementary level we've always been mastery based here.  So, basically I "assess" the kids as we go.  If they've demonstrated in their daily work they understand the material we go on.  No formal tests in our daily school work.  I know if they've mastered material by their worksheets and by having discussions with them one on one.

We are required to standardize test.  I see this as a separate item from our school work.  I view it as a technicality I need to perform to legally homeschool.  I do take a look at their scores, but most often it only reinforces what I (and they) already know.  I have never and never will teach to a standardized test.

Starting in Middle school I give the kids tests in a couple subjects.  Science and math mainly.  2nd semester my dd12 will use the tests in her American History curriculum.  To this point she hasn't.  I want to start training them in how to study for and take tests.  Their tests are part of their grade, but count no more than their homework.  If they score poorly on a test we go back and revisit the material, but honestly they usually do A or B work on tests.  We've just always worked to mastery and I make sure they have as much opportunity as possible to actually learn the material before we test.

In high school I will continue to test in science and math and other subjects that have premade tests with them, mostly to give them practice in test taking.  The history/humanities,etc. curriculum we use though is more geared to discussion and papers than multiple choice tests.  Most of the assessment I do will come through discussion and papers.  It's amazing how much more someone learns when they have a discussion about the ideas (or have to put them in writing) as opposed to just memorizing some facts.  It's really how we learn best, but is quite impossible in a mass school system, thus the necessity for multiple choice tests.

I will prepare them for ACT/SAT (I attended a lecture on helping them with the essay portion of the test).  And, my oldest is very interested in CLEP... so he will do many multiple choice tests if he does indeed pursue that.  I think test taking is an important skill, but not the best way to prove learning.  How often did you WISH that high school or college professors would just talk to you about this or that so that you could show them what YOU really learned from the material?  Instead, we are forced to try and figure out what the teacher thinks is most important and focus on pleasing him/her instead of REALLY learning from the material we read/work on.  

I think my kids have learned more (and things I wouldn't have thought of sometimes!) and in their own way by not having to test as younger children.  They don't mind reading because they aren't trying to figure out what they'll be asked... they just read it and we discuss.  No preconceptions.  Of course, I try to expand their views as we talk and challenge them when I don't quite agree (or they are flat out wrong), but overall I find it fascinating to watch a child REALLY learn.

My 13 y/o is currently reading Mere Christianity and the discussions we have are amazing.  It's a tough book for both of us, but he comes alive as he discusses with me the concepts.  A multiple choice exam would kill the joy of his learning.  And for sure, I know if he's understanding or not as we talk!

I guess I kind of went on about testing a lot, but I think our school system puts way too much emphasis on conforming to standardized testing than actually teaching.  I know teachers who actually only teach what is on the standardized tests.  So sad... and no wonder we have a generation of kids that can't think for themselves.  

My advice is to educate your children the way it makes sense to you (and them).  Do the things you need to staying within the laws, but go beyond that!  Your children will be better for it... even if they don't score in the 90th percentile on a standardized test!