Menu

Phonics after reading is established?

TyraTooters

My 7 year old (in a mix of first and second grade curriculum) is an amazing reader. Rarely needs help sounding new words out. I'm getting ready to order All About Spelling (levels 1 & 2) and as soon as it gets here we'll be starting that. We're a little over halfway through Abeka first grade phonics & language 1 and their spelling.

Question is, with doing AAS and FLL can I drop phonics now? He's been reading above grade level since the first semester of kindergarten.

I work until they can read and pronounce anything, but you could just do a quick review of the things on my multisyllable phonics page yearl until reading is at the 12th grade level, it shouldn't take more than a few hours total.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

I forgot all about your website! Thanks for the reminder ;-)

Anyone else have any suggestions? What could we use after Abeka first grade phonics?

I forgot all about your website! Thanks for the reminder ;-)

Anyone else have any suggestions? What could we use after Abeka first grade phonics?

I'm wondering what to do after abeka 1st grade phonics too .. The second grade books look exactly the same .. I don't see them actually increasing in difficulty????? I had thought about doing explode the code starting with book 4 because it works on syllables and AAS .. And just reading real books . I'm terrified of missing something . LOE essentials looks good too ..but I wonder if it's too much after abeka . Sorry for hijacking thanks for starting this thread .

I'm wondering what to do after abeka 1st grade phonics too .. The second grade books look exactly the same .. I don't see them actually increasing in difficulty????? I had thought about doing explode the code starting with book 4 because it works on syllables and AAS .. And just reading real books . I'm terrified of missing something . LOE essentials looks good too ..but I wonder if it's too much after abeka . Sorry for hijacking thanks for starting this thread .

Steal away!! I'm curious too. Trying to nail it all down for when we make the full switch out of Abeka. About hallway there but I can't figure out what to do with phonics. I know AAS isn't phonics but I don't have any idea on what to use for phonics to go along with it that doesn't sound like overkill alongside AAS.

After learning how to read, we have not had to do any phonics review. We are halfway through level 3 of AAS, and for my son that has been all he has needed. There have been less than a handful of times where he has needed help sounding out a word during reading and I just help him, remind him of the rules (or how to apply the rules to his reading), and we move on. However, his younger brother may wind up needing the review. We tried ETC, but it just didn't work for us.

After learning how to read, we have not had to do any phonics review. We are halfway through level 3 of AAS, and for my son that has been all he has needed. There have been less than a handful of times where he has needed help sounding out a word during reading and I just help him, remind him of the rules (or how to apply the rules to his reading), and we move on. However, his younger brother may wind up needing the review. We tried ETC, but it just didn't work for us.

This is good to know that AAS was enough.. I don't know if I can stomach another year of Abeka phonics  :(  ... Although the results were great!   May I ask what you used for phonics?