Menu

Book Recommendations, long picture book or illustrated chapter book

I am looking for books to read to my 5 year old twins (boy and girl) at bedtime. I would like them to be longer than the average picture book, but have more illustrations than a chapter book. We have read: My Father's Dragon, The Hundred Dresses, The Wizard of Oz (beautifully illustrated by Charles Santore) and The Reluctant Dragon (illustrated by Inga Moore). I love books with beautiful illustrations, and we want a book we can anticipate and talk about throughout the day. There is probably a word for the type of books I am looking for, but I don't know it. I guess it could be called transitional, but we are not ready to quit our picture books by far.

Thank you for all your help. I have learned so much from this forum, it is truly a blessing.

I have not read it myself, but The Invention of Hugo Cabret has lots of pictures in it.

If you're christian, The Evergreen Wood is a children's adaptation of Pilgrim's Progress. It feels like a picture book with the amount of illustrations it has, but it has chapters. It's short for a chapter book, I can read it aloud to my children in about an hour.