Menu

Looking for 5th grade reading and literature curriculum

trulycrabby

Hello, I have been dealing with illness and just do not have the energy to choose reading and literature curriculum this year. Last year I picked out individual books, poems, etc... and cobbled together study units from resources found on the internet. I know that's really the best way to go, but I only have the energy to use a reading/literature curriculum which has everything done for me,; I just have to teach the unit.

Any suggestions? It can be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddist, or Secular, as long as it's good.

It doesnt have to be a complete LA curriculum as I already do Rod & Staff for grammar, but I won't rule it out if it is complete.

Right now I am considering Language Arts Through Literature, but I am not crazy about the books we have to read. We might us it if nothing is better.

There's a series of OOP books you can sometimes find on Amazon called Inside Stories that we use sometimes. Read a chapter of the book and answer thought-provoking questions. Pretty straight forward and easy to use. There are also a few vocabulary words for each chapter.

Inside Stories, Book 1: Study Guides for Children's Literature, Grades 3-4

I can't figure out how to link on Amazon, but the above info should get you to the proper levels if you scroll down.

Some levels are affordable ($5.50) and others seem to be more difficult to find and are more expensive (about $30.)

The books are non-consumable, so the price can even out in the end if you use it for multiple children.

Maybe Kolbe or Mosdos? We've used Kolbe, but I've only looked at Mosdos (was too pricey for us at the time). Kolbe is Catholic, and Mosdos may? be written by Jewish people??? but it only is supposed to come across with high moral values, etc, not overly religious. Questions, both recall and higher thinking order types are included in both programs. Kolbe uses separate literary works from which you pick and choose which works you want to cover, whereas Mosdos is a textbook/compilation.

http://www.mosdospress.com/

http://kolbe.org/homeschool/courses/elementary/elementary-literature-curriculum/

http://kolbe.org/documents/elemlit/elemlitsyllabus.pdf

http://kolbe.org/documents/elemlit/secretgarden.pdf

Silvermoon and Ewe Mama, since I LOVE to buy curriculum, I purchased books 3 and 4 of Inside Stories, Further Up and Further in for Cheonicles of Narnia and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Thank you very much! :)

I did not see anything for literature in Build Your Library, but I was also looking for history and science suggestions, so I will go look at it. Thank you, stripe!

Kbernt, I love Kolbe and Mosdos, but will probably go with Kolbe because it covers two years. Thank you!

Silvermoon and Ewe Mama, since I LOVE to buy curriculum, I purchased books 3 and 4 of Inside Stories, Further Up and Further in for Cheonicles of Narnia and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Thank you very much! :)

I did not see anything for literature in Build Your Library, but I was also looking for history and science suggestions, so I will go look at it. Thank you, stripe!

Kbernt, I love Kolbe and Mosdos, but will probably go with Kolbe because it covers two years. Thank you!

I'm glad you liked all the great suggestions you received. I'm going to check a couple of them out for myself, too. :)

I am going to try again at using Galore Park this year.

It has a theme for each chapter but you really just read the snippets in the books, with book suggestions at the end. (Many of them are books that are less popular or even hard to find in the US or otherwise outside of the UK and could pretty easily be substituted, but then you'd have to find replacements.) But you could certainly read the book in the first, larger excerpt. Most of them are well known, e.g. Willy Wonka, Goodnight Mr Tom, etc. That would be like a book a month.