Menu

Rising seniors and TASP

I know I read that someone had a daughter that was attending TASP, the Telluride Summer Association Program.  I can't remember which member.  

For anyone that has had a child attend TASP

How did it go?  We would like more information on what it is actually like!

I have a daughter that is thinking of applying this year.

Thanks

My daughter attended one of the TASP sessions at UMich this summer.  She had a wonderful time and really connected to the other students.  She's done summer programs before, but this was the first one where she loved everyone.  There was a tremendous amount of diversity, which she enjoyed.   She said there was a really big workload, which she didn't mind, and the course was really engaging and interesting.  Another favorite was the pubspeaks, where they each gave a presentation on any topic that was important to them.  So far they're all keeping up with each other afterwards, too, and planning to meet up at college visits. 

Let me know if you have specific questions!

~shewhoseeks

Oh, I noticed you said rising seniors.  You apply for TASP during the junior year of high school, and attend the summer before your senior year.  There is also another program (TASS), for the summer between the sophomore and junior year. 

Oops!  I actually knew this…..my daughter is a junior and is interested in TASP.  

Thanks so much for posting about your daughter's experience.  It is really nice to know of someone else's experience!

My oldest son participated in TASP this year at Cornell. He had an awesome experience, and made great friends. He relished the heightened intellectual discourse, as well as the constant exchange of ideas. In addition, the TASP application process really prepared him well for college essays and interviews.

Maria

I did have a couple of questions......

TASP seems to lend itself well to the artistic side and English pursuits.  My daughter is leaning toward the science end of things. Were there engineering/science types also?

What was the timeline in your experience?  When did they find out they had been accepted to an interview?

And, congrats to your kiddos, I know TASP is an incredibly difficult thing to be accepted into.

Thanks so much!

My daughter said,  "All of the TASPs are very humanities-based, so she should be interested in that experience, but there were several more science-oriented students there too.  They kept up with the courses fine and added an interesting different perspective.  A lot of them really didn't have much of a humanities background, but they enjoyed it."