Menu

cc pre-calc, or high school calc for senior year?

My dd is a senior this year.  She has completed Alg 1 and Geometry with BJU textbooks, and Alg 2 and Pre-calc with Teaching Textbooks.

Her options at this point are:

1) Take Trigonometry OR Pre-calc at the community college (these are 2 separate classes, both are pre-reqs for Calc I).  This would have to be spring semester as we are too late now for fall...so only time for 1 math class at cc.

OR

2) Take high school calculus online (FLVS or Keystone for example)

She wants to major in Biology, so will have lots more math in her future.  I did not see the science major coming – high school has been mostly about music for her J  

Which would best prepare her for college at this point – math courses at cc, or high school calculus?  

And, which would look best on her transcript, as far as being admitted?

Thank you for your input!! 

How did she do on the CC placement test? If she placed into calculus at the CC, I'd probably go with the full-year calculus class over the semester-long precalculus class. But if she didn't place into calculus at the CC, I don't think high school calculus would be a good fit.

I vote for high school Calculus-- this way you can drop down to a second year of Pre-Calc (standard text) or a Statistics class if necessary.

TT's Pre-Calc is fine (covers the basics but does not have depth/challenge) for business Calc students--but may not be enough for students needing more STEM maths unless they are natural math students.