Menu

Help me bring DD up to speed

crl

DD is in sixth grade this year. We have been using a combination of HOD materials and Math-U-See for her entire school career. She has completed MUS Epsilon and is now working on Zeta. Is she on track with math? I've been reading (a terrible thing to do sometimes) that some kids are not prepared to do a traditional Pre-Alegbra after using MUS. Is this true?

Also, we have not done a traditional spelling program, just dictation through HOD. DD is not a natural speller and is now trying to do level A of Phonetic Zoo. Though she is struggling with lesson 2.

She has worked through some IEW materials at a co-op and is doing great in her writing skills. And she seems to be handling R & S English 6 well.

Thankfully, there is no way to be "behind" in history and science. But for reference, we are using America the Beautiful for history and Sonlight F for science (her pick).

Are we ok? Or do we need to catch up?

Thanks!

I can't speak towards the MUS but you could try a placement test for a different math curriculum and see if she places at or close to her grade level.  That will give you an idea if her skills are where you want them to be.  (You can never say a whole program is really ahead or behind because math kids will always be able to do more and work harder problems then a kid who struggles with math which ever program you are using)

As for the rest of it.  It seems like she is on pace to me, just a bad speller.  I have taught phonics 5 times, and have a college degree and can't spell to save my life.  I am so thankful I live in the digital age where EVERYTHING has spell check!!  

I would keep working on the spelling where she is at but definitely get her typing!! That way she can take advantage of spell check also :-)

Thanks for your input. I'm glad to hear the rest sounds resaonable. I'll have to look into the math a little more.

As for spelling, she is working through a program, but she does most of her work as typing. Which has helped her spelling skills.

I think your daughter sounds like she's right on track.  My daughter just finished Zeta in 7th (and started Pre-Alg), and will finish Pre-Alg and do all or part of Algebra.  It sounds like your daughter will easily complete Algebra by or in 8th...that sounds pretty good to me!  MUS is a little weak on problem-solving/word problems, so maybe supplement?  That's what we're doing this year, since my 3 oldest kids love MUS.  Phonetic Zoo worked for one of my kiddos, but not the other two who tried it....but 2 lessons isn't likely enough to determine if it'll work for her.  I wouldn't get overly concerned by spelling though...just work on it.  My kids as they started reading more in jr. high age also started naturally improving in their spelling (even my dysgraphic oldest I thought would never be able to spell!)  Relax and congratulate yourself and your daughter on excellent progress!