Menu

TOG: Literature for younger kids??

CAmomof4

I'm thinking of switching from VP to TOG next year because long term it seems like it might be more of a fit for us.  I've looked at their sample (overwhelming!!) and I'm wondering if I'm missing something -

I see the great books integrated reading for high school kids, but what about grammar stage?  Does TOG include any planning at all for kids' lit?  I'm talking about the children's classics here, not history-integrated reading assignments.  TOG users, what do you do for this, do you add in additional stuff on your own?

Year 4 was a delightful year at the lower and upper grammar level. Between the core assignments and alternative assignments we covered many, many wonderful children's classics. It's simply the books are scheduled into the appropriate history period, so many showed up in year 4. I did alternate between the alternative and core literature assignments. :001_smile:

All of TOG's lit corresponds to the historical time period. Most of the "classics" in year 1 & 2 are children's adaptations of adult lit. Years 3 & 4 do have more kids lit. I'm using English Lessons Through Literature that uses children's classics for copywork and grammar. Between that and our bedtime read-aloud we've got children's classics covered. Right now I'm not interested in formal analysis. Ds is 6.

All right, I'm starting to loosen up my grip (stranglehold, really) on needing to do formal literature assignments - which for some reason always seem to consist entirely of comprehension questions.  Yuck.  I do see many good selections mixed in on Bookshelf Central.

All of TOG's lit corresponds to the historical time period. Most of the "classics" in year 1 & 2 are children's adaptations of adult lit. Years 3 & 4 do have more kids lit. I'm using English Lessons Through Literature that uses children's classics for copywork and grammar. Between that and our bedtime read-aloud we've got children's classics covered. Right now I'm not interested in formal analysis. Ds is 6.

This. Children's lit just didn't exist for much of human history so years one and two lit is children's versions of folk tales, myths, Shakespeare, etc. We are in year 3 and have much more already and I've looked ahead to know that year 4 is full of it.