Menu

Unscientific Poll on Early Readers

Unscientific Poll on Early Readers  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Did your child learn to read early, and how do they feel about reading now? (May vote multiple times for multiple children.)

• My child was reading reasonably fluently by 5 and still loves reading.
    • My child read by 5 but now does not enjoy reading or has issues with comprehension.
    • My child didn't read much by 5, but now reads frequently for pleasure.
    • My child didn't read much by 5, and still does not enjoy reading.
    • Other (Please explain below...Please also select this if your child has a reading issue such as dyslexia that affected age of learning or reading enjoyment.)

Son #1 read fluently at 5 - has always read and still reads at past 40 years.

Son #2 read fluently at 4 - liked reading for a couple of years and then hated most of it until he hit college. Then he loved it again and still does at almost 30. I should add, that during the years he wasn't reading, he was writing -fiction and nonfiction-continually.

DFD: Read fluently at 5, read as a child, at 17, reads what she must but not much more. I think it is her stage in life and she will read for pleasure again.

My very unscientific opinion is that kids who love books as a very young child will continue to love books, even if it's hard to learn to read and/or they hate reading during that process. Kids who don't like reading as they age, never really liked reading even as a small child.