Menu

Math help, please

We started school this week. Ds, 17, is a senior. He worked through TT Alg 2, Geometry, and Precal. Honestly, I don't know which math to put him in for this last year at home. He really doesn't want to go to college, however he will go to CC next fall, though, so I don't want him to skip a whole year of math. 

Purchased Saxon Advanced Math & Art Reed dvds (ds enjoyed Art Reed's instruction for Algebra 1), but after the first week, he is overwhelmed. (The course starts at lesson 60 and proceeds to the end of the book then covers L 1-25 in the Calculus text). Art Reed titles the course "Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus." 

Just really second guessing my plans. Especially when we factor in Physics, my part time job (22-28 hours weekly) and upcoming foot surgery.

Looking for suggestions. Thought about Lial's College Algebra to keep his skills fresh.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa

There is no way I would begin a Saxon math book in the middle. Either choose a different curriculum or start at the beginning of the book.

I'd usually be doubtful about jumping back to Saxon starting in Adv. Math but since he has already covered the material once and will just be using it for review it may work

There is no way I would begin a Saxon math book in the middle. Either choose a different curriculum or start at the beginning of the book.

I'd usually be doubtful about jumping back to Saxon starting in Adv. Math but since he has already covered the material once and will just be using it for review it may work

A solid trig / precalculus course sounds great, but Saxon is a spiral program, and builds on lesson after lesson.  I would hesitate to start Saxon with Advanced Math, and certainly wouldn't start in the middle of the book.

College algebra would be a solid choice, even better if the course included trigonometry (some cover both).  College algebra is NOT like a step back -- it is like "algebra 3," and although precalculus covers much of the same concepts, it does so at greatly reduced depth.

I would also suggest him taking math classes at the community college.  He can take the placement test to see where he places and then decide which course from there.  If he's hesitant to go to college, taking a couple of courses during his senior year might help to spark his interest.   College algebra might very well be a good place to start. 

Thanks, ladies-

Since he doesn't drive, cc was not an option. However, after looking at Lials' College Algebra & Trig online and hearing my college student in the background say "Hey we used that book in MAT161!" I'm thinking I may just have to drive him to the campus twice a week  :closedeyes:

Kareni...do you have a stats book in mind?

Kareni...do you have a stats book in mind?

My daughter took AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers, and it was an excellent class.  She learned a lot, scored a five on the exam, and later stated that it was one of her two most valuable high school classes.  (She's now finished with college.)  Here is a link to the class (which I see is full though there is a waiting list).  The text used is The Practice of Statistics, Daren S. Starnes; Dan Yates; David S. Moore.

While I have no experience with it, Life of Fred also has a Statistics book.  That link is here.

Regards,

Kareni

I second the Statistics idea. My daughter had the exact same math going into her final year. By then she knew she was going to be doing a degree in Film and didn't need high level math and she wanted something easier than Calculus. We used Hawkins Statistics - it was online and had a text book. It was one of those auto grading classes so it was easy for me too! She didn't hate it and I figured it might actually come in useful some day.