Menu

Great Books/Great Conversation online programs

I am starting to do some research for my new fifth grader. She is an accelerated learner and an extrovert. She really thrives when she is able to work with a peer group. I'm just not sure that she is going to be happy discussing books and ideas exclusively with mom (although I am planning on keeping up with her and staying involved no matter what option we go with).

So, I'm looking into great books programs that would allow her to be a part of an online group. Ideally, it's something that she would start in junior high and continue with through high school. Can you help me compile a list of options? And if you have any feedback on any of these programs that would be great too!!

Here is what I have found so far:

Wilson Hill (uses Omnibus, starting in 7th)

Potter's School Classics Program - starts in 9th

VP - Omnibus

Great Books Academy/Angelicum Academy

Biola's Torrey Academy - high school

WTM Academy -looks like it starts in 10th right now?

I'm sure I'm missing some...

This is exactly what we are all about! Angelina Stanford, who speaks and writes for Circe, is teaching Great Books II: Christendom this year. Starting next year we are panning to have Seminars for teens who don't need a full course, but wish to have a group to discuss what they are reading! Perhaps you'd like to attend our open house tomorrow? More info may be found here.. but I'll paste the information below, too.

This is a great opportunity to discuss things with Angelina Stanford, Ron Adair (drawing), and Tina (logic) --and possibly some of the other tutors. People new to online study can see the way the sessions work! It will also be fun.....

ONLINE OPEN HOUSE

Our theme will be: Multum Non Multa!

Thursday ~ 11 am EST

August 7, 2014

Come on over and see what our sessions are like! Meet Angelina Stanford and Ron Adair, and others. We offer online courses and workshops in Latin, Great Books, Literary Analysis & More! We have been teaching these subjects for many years--meet some of our tutors from around the country. If you have never participated in online classes, this is your chance to see how they work!

Sign up here: info@harveycenter.org ... Or find more information at http://www.harveycenter.org .

Thanks so much! I'm not quite ready for an open house, but will definitely add the Harvey Center to my list of potential options. I'm already considering one of your Latin courses for next year. :)

I can't recommend anything because I'm in the same boat doing the same research for my soon-to-be fifth grader. The one I like best so far in my research is here:

http://www.gbt.org/

It's recommended by SWB as well.

Thanks! This looks great. So, if you go with this, is your plan to start in 8th? What would you do for the other middle school years?

Thanks! This looks great. So, if you go with this, is your plan to start in 8th? What would you do for the other middle school years?

I got caught up in adding something new to your list. My plan for in between is Great Books Academy. I'm not completely committed yet, though. They seem the most flexible.

Thanks so much! I'm not quite ready for an open house, but will definitely add the Harvey Center to my list of potential options. I'm already considering one of your Latin courses for next year. :)

I understand! :) But don't be intimidated. It is going to be a pretty lively discussion - you could easily get away with just watching quietly from the back row. There are a few of our current parents coming out to talk with some of us tutors about "Multum Non Multa."  And it is also not about trying to talk people into our classes over others that are mentioned above. I would highly recommend a lot of other study centers, especially Wes Callihan's (scholatutorials.org) and Fritz Hinrichs (gbt.org)! I'm always sending people to the articles about classical education they have at their sites. We just enjoy getting together and discussing things with parents and encouraging them! We have all been so blessed by homeschooling that we feel called to help. 

And btw... If you'd like to see samples of our classes there is a link here:

http://www.summerlatin.org/Testimonials.html

:rolleyes:

I haven't used it since my kids are still too young.  But we are moving to that area, and it is definitely on my radar.  It is from a Reformed perspective if that makes any difference to you.

Thanks. We're not Christian so it doesn't make a difference to me. However it goes I'm going to have to navigate the waters. But I do want to make sure my kids understand the Christian basis for Western thought.  :)